Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Inline 6 (PS/ Auto/ Factory AC Removed)
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone provide the measurements for an inline 6 in the engine bay - shock tower to valve cover and firewall to valve cover?

I’m at about 15.5 on each side and 4.5 in the rear.
Hood Automotive tire Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Bumper

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine (250 I6 in 66 convertible) is 4.5" valve cover to fire wall, about 15" driver's side shock to valve cover, about 16" pass side shock to valve cover. Both side measurements were taken from an "outie" section of the valve cover ripple to the center of the shock. As far as the side measurements mine may be off a bit from what a stock engine would measure because I kluged the engine mounts to get the 250 low enough to fit under the stock hood.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine (250 I6 in 66 convertible) is 4.5" valve cover to fire wall, about 15" driver's side shock to valve cover, about 16" pass side shock to valve cover. Both side measurements were taken from an "outie" section of the valve cover ripple to the center of the shock. As far as the side measurements mine may be off a bit from what a stock engine would measure because I kluged the engine mounts to get the 250 low enough to fit under the stock hood.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got about the same measurements as jharcinske on an original 200 with recent new motor mounts.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got about the same measurements as jharcinske on an original 200 with recent new motor mounts.
Does your fan seem to sit a lot more on the passenger side of the radiator than centered?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does your fan seem to sit a lot more on the passenger side of the radiator than centered?
Absolutely. Looks like it's the water pump that's a little off center more than the block. Not a lot, maybe a couple inches. The fan doesn't hang over the edge of the radiator.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Absolutely. Looks like it's the water pump that's a little off center more than the block. Not a lot, maybe a couple inches. The fan doesn't hang over the edge of the radiator.

Absolutely. Not a lot, it looks like it’s the water pump a little off center more than the block. View attachment 818856
View attachment 818857
Is that a 15” fan?

The issue I’m having is I replaced the radiator and fan after the original rad failed, and fan was questionable.
Upgraded to a 3 core and replacement 15” fan.
Now my new fan ruined my 2nd radiator when the consensus was the motor/trans mount went bad causing it to torque counter clockwise and the fan contacted the radiator. I also had a shorter fan spacer installed cause the 3 core was too close to the fan.
Now I have my second new radiator in, new mounts and the fan is already making contact with the bottom of the radiator and it’s close on the passenger side.
I am going to get a new spacer that’s either 1/2 inch or 1”, and a second stackable 3/16 spacer to make clearance.
I was curious what someone else’s measurements were cause someone commented in my other thread about my current issue that my fan seemed too far to the pass side.
It seems normal on based on the measurements I’ve gotten here.

pic 1 is new fan/ rad. It’s making contact on rad where it damaged the original in pic 2-3 - right above the trans cooler area.

Weird thing is the second rad and new fan did not have any clearance issue after install. Drive 30 min from 15-70 mph. Fan made contact after put it in reverse, hence the “bad motor mount” issue.

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Grille Automotive exterior Mesh Hood Bumper

Automotive radiator part Black Grille Rectangle Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's a six-bladed AC fan, (was an AC car) I think they're 15" or 15 and a fraction diameter, and the spacer is the original 1 1/4". Motor mounts were new a year or two ago. The radiator is a new 3 row, and the fan blade tips are about 7/8" away from the radiator. Put your hand in front of the radiator at idle, and you can feel lots of air moving past. Never gets close to overheating, but it is Minnesota, not Vegas.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a six-bladed AC fan, (was an AC car) I think they're 15" or 15 and a fraction diameter, and the spacer is the original 1 1/4". Motor mounts were new a year or two ago. The radiator is a new 3 row, and the fan blade tips are about 7/8" away from the radiator. Put your hand in front of the radiator at idle, and you can feel lots of air moving past. Never gets close to overheating, but it is Minnesota, not Vegas.
I’ve got something wrong then.
My fan is the same 15”-6 blade and it’s much closer to the pass side rad frame than yours. I also had the 1 1/4 spacer and had an extra 1/8 milled off cause of the original clearance issue. Mine was also AC, but removed cause PO or PO mechanic cut the clutch wire & it was empty anyways.
I may have to go electric fan if I can’t figure this out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I’ve got something wrong then.
My fan is the same 15”-6 blade and it’s much closer to the pass side rad frame than yours. I also had the 1 1/4 spacer and had an extra 1/8 milled off cause of the original clearance issue. Mine was also AC, but removed cause PO or PO mechanic cut the clutch wire & it was empty anyways.
I may have to go electric fan if I can’t figure this out.
Yea, that's the same radiator I have too. I'd be looking at the sheet metal the radiator screws on to... Wouldn't take a lot of distortion there to screw you up. Hard to tell from pictures, but some of your fan blade tips look different than the others. My blades are all the same shape, just spaced unevenly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, that's the same radiator I have too. I'd be looking at the sheet metal the radiator screws on to... Wouldn't take a lot of distortion there to screw you up. Hard to tell from pictures, but some of your fan blade tips look different than the others. My blades are all the same shape, just spaced unevenly.
My original was oddly spaced between blades. The repo is evenly spaced.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sometime while it's apart enough to be easy, throw the original fan back on and check the clearance. When I put my new 3 row radiator in I was pretty sure I wouldn't have to get a shorter spacer because the original 2 row was an inch and a half away from the fan blades. I was okay with the minimum 7/8" clearance I wound up with, and it was pretty even all around and blade to blade. What was wrong with your original fan?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sometime while it's apart enough to be easy, throw the original fan back on and check the clearance. When I put my new 3 row radiator in I was pretty sure I wouldn't have to get a shorter spacer because the original 2 row was an inch and a half away from the fan blades. I was okay with the minimum 7/8" clearance I wound up with, and it was pretty even all around and blade to blade. What was wrong with your original fan?
Original fan is gone. The paint on it had a crack near where it connected to the center, which could’ve been an underline fracture and I didn’t want to run the risk of a blade coming off at 2500 rmp.
I’ve ordered a 1, 1/2, & two 3/16 spacers.
One way or another I’ll get this figured out, maybe.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I never throw old parts away, no matter how broken. Always good for reference later, and I figure someday I'll have another car to sell, though in pretty rough shape!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts