Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
There are a ton of sound clips on YouTube. While I'm running a Clifford header on my Bronco, I would recommend checking out classicinlines.com instead. I ran mine into a dual in/dual out single Flowmaster 50, but dual mufflers would be easier on a Mustang. Pipes, 2 1/4" max.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Simple- get a dual header set, and hang 2" dual exhaust on the car. Your friends will think you dropped in a V8.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had an older chevy inline 250 and had duals put on it w/ thrush CVX mufflers, sort of a glass pack shaped like a flowmaster. It sounded really good at idle and at part throttle. @ WOT it was 100% obvious the truck had a 6 in it, sounded like a UPS truck mated w/ a school bus.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think my favorite sound I've found, so far (it's an ever changing decision...) is a Classic Inlines dual-out header, with 2" pipes, an X-pipe, and 14" Magnaflows. MPGMustang runs that I believe, and I really like the sound of it.

Though the Arvinode is a very close second.

·
Registered
191 Posts
+1 on the Arvinode with dual out headers from Classic Inlines. Thats my next 'investment'

Check it out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you want to do it on the real cheep, you could just replace the muffler with a straight pipe. The stock 2" single pipe exhaust probably has enough restriction that it wouldn't be too loud if it was straight pipe all the way to the bumper.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Straight pipes. That's an easy, cheap alternative. Good thought. Not for my taste, but I would like to see how it sounds with them on

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Bloody loud, that's how it sounds. An inline six without a crossover through straight pipes is an earbuster. A crossover would reduce the sound level some, but doesn't help with scavenging like it would with a V8.

Heck, with 18" glasspacks mine sets off car alarms every time I drive through a parking garage...

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Don't make the mistake thinking a a wittle-bitty six cywinder wouldn't be as loud as a V8 with no mufflers. Treat it like a small V8, with 2" pipes, and twin mufflers.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
When my 65 was still an I6, I wanted the look of duals, so I had a single in dual out Firebird style stock type replacement muffler installed in the transverse location. It looked and sounded great. It wasn't super loud, but you could hear it and most people thought it was a stock 2 bbl V8. It had a nice sound, but wasn't loud.

I know someone that ran true 2 inch duals with a pair of turbo mufflers on an I6 and that sounded good too.

I personally would not make an I6 loud. It doesn't sound good. If it has a nice mellow sound, most people won't know whats under the hood.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Straight pipes. That's an easy, cheap alternative. Good thought. Not for my taste, but I would like to see how it sounds with them on
The origional straight single pipe, not duel pipes. Just cut out the muffler and weld a 2 foot pipe in it's place. The exhaust would still exit at the bumper so it may not be too loud. The full length stock pipe and manifold is pretty restrictive so it should muffle some on it's own. Put on a 3" fancy chrome tip from Autozone so it looks bad-boy.
If it is too loud, it would be easy to put on a cheep glasspack muffler or a straight-thru muffler to tone it down a little. (Remember this is the CHEEP alternative!)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
When we first got the Mustang running back in high school, we put a single glasspack on it and had the tail pipe exit on the driver side instead of the passenger side. It was alright, but sounded kinda like a Beetle with super bug exhaust.

I would go with a 2.5 inch turn down style tip and tuck it up like it would have been stock. I would do this with single exhaust. If its split out to duals then still go with 2.5 inch tips under the bumper gaurds.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Back in the 70's I had a 641/5 with a 200 straight 6. I did considerable mods on the engine. 289 pop up pistons, cam, webber side drafts. For the exhaust I went to Hooker and they custom bent me a set of headers which split into two pipes (now their available off the shelf) ran back straight pipes into 36 inch steel packs. Didn't sound like a muscle car but it did sound like a throaty Jaguar. Whole lot of fun in a little six. Way fast off the line but the power faded at about 40 mph.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts