Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a 67 conv.with a 200 6 and wondered if any one has used or is useing one of the alum heads I have seen? Have not kept up with any of the newer part for the 200 since I quit working on the 66 about 20 years ago.any info ro improve the car would be appreciated. Have toyed with the thought of trying to use the turbo and carb adaptor off of a buick sport coupe that has been sitting for a long time. Any thoughts ,does any one offer a package or parts to do this on a 200? Again any help offerd I thank you for it.

·
Dimples
4,839 Posts
This gets discussed pretty frequently, so I’ll just give you the short version. Be prepared to spend lots of money for not that much power. A V8 swap would be cheaper and yield better results. The old Ford 6 is a great engine, but not for performance.

·
Registered
35,904 Posts
It's not that the six doesn't have POTENTIAL... the problem is that the majority of performance parts have been developed for the V8's due to popularity over the years. There are SOME performance parts but the choice is very limited. Some of the solutions include a fair amount of "backyard engineering", such as machining off the intake log and provisioning for a separate intake. If I had a small six and wanted some additional performance I'd probably opt for a "large log" cylinder head, for the increased manifold and chamber volumes and add a belt-driven supercharger, like the NOVI unit at a higher boost to make up for the loss of static CR, and a 2V Throttle-Body Injection unit. Top off with a DurasparkII distributor and it should be a decent performer.

·
Dimples
4,839 Posts
Even then, the peak potential for a six is still limited. We've had one member here with a forced induction 200. He eventually did a V8 swap and said it was the best thing he could've done for that car. I personally love to see modded sixes, but I could never recommend one relative to budget and the aforementioned potential or lack thereof.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
In the end it depends what you want....yes, there are 400+HP I6s running around out there...it is certainly possible, and certainly more unique than a SBF swap...but as Blake said, you will spend a lot of money getting there...that aluminum head you are talking about? last I saw it was over $1000 and gained you 70HP...you could swap in a GT40P engine from an explorer and end up with 60+ more HP than the aluminum head I6 for the same price...that is the conundrum. If you ARE interested in making power out of an I6...what you really want is the Australian crossflow head...the Aussies make a lot of power on those...but people generally put them on 250ci blocks(not 200ci)...and even in Australia they aren't exactly easy to find these days...If I were going with an I6, I would skip the pushrod I6s entirely and just take an Australian BA inline 6...the NA version makes 250HP(Turbo versions are much more expensive but make 350+HP) from the factory with DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder...you can buy and get one shipped to the states to your door for less than $1800....that was the price I last saw on Ebay from the guy who did it...and he included an ECU and harness to run it....but you would still have to figure out a way to adapt it to your transmission of choice, etc.

The point is, there are plenty of I6 options(you can even splice a couple LS heads together and bolt it on to the 200ci block, some guys do that) but ALL of them are going to range from expensive to very expensive and the results still wont be what you could get out of a SBF with the same amount invested.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really looking for vi power from a6 as I have a 97 f150 I have been working on since may supposed to have someone lined up to do some tuneing on it in Feb. Any way thanks for the input. Seen a video this morning on a turbo 6 I tech in Australia that was pretty impressive.again thanks

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Not really looking for vi power from a6 as I have a 97 f150 I have been working on since may supposed to have someone lined up to do some tuneing on it in Feb. Any way thanks for the input. Seen a video this morning on a turbo 6 I tech in Australia that was pretty impressive.again thanks
The I-tech is the SOHC predecessor to the DOHC BA engine(Both are evolutions of the 200/250/300 CI pushrod engines from the Falcon...the flacon was discontinued here, but was made all the way up to a few years ago in Australia. Unfortunately the SOHC and DOHC heads wont bolt up to the earlier blocks...it could probably be done with some modifications, but you would have to fabricate a cam/timing drive system if you attempted it)...I think there are a few I-techs and BA engines floating around North America....Ford sold them as industrial generators similar to how they used to sell 250CI I6s for the same application

If you want moderate power from the 200CI engine...going fuel injection and turbocharged would get you to 250-300HP pretty easily, but by the time you are done making a separate intake manifold, adding the turbo, upgrading the fuel system, etc you are still thousands of dollars into the engine.

Another alternative you could always play with:

The Jaguar AJ6 4.0L(250CI) Inline 6...unlike most other DOHC I6s around they have a distributor(even the later models of this engine retained a dizzy even though actual timing was ECU run, so swapping to an earlier dizzy is possible)...which means its as simple as bolting on a few Weber sidedraft carbs to convert it to carburetor and not need an ECU to run it at all(might have to play with a MSD timing box or something though. They came with either an auto or a 5 speed transmission. In stock form its aluminum block and makes 250HP.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Recently acquired a 67 conv.with a 200 6 and wondered if any one has used or is useing one of the alum heads I have seen? Have not kept up with any of the newer part for the 200 since I quit working on the 66 about 20 years ago.any info ro improve the car would be appreciated. Have toyed with the thought of trying to use the turbo and carb adaptor off of a buick sport coupe that has been sitting for a long time. Any thoughts ,does any one offer a package or parts to do this on a 200? Again any help offerd I thank you for it.
It's funny how people respond without answering the question you asked. Anyways.

Yes, I am using the aluminum head. So are a lot of people over at fordsix.com. It is expensive. As for availabilty you would have to check with Matt over at vintageinlines.com I am not sure if he has made more if more are in the works.
As for aftermarket parts. He has them. I think Store - Langdon's Stovebolt has some carb alternatives also.

My buddy. Actually i have lost track of him over the years. Bolted on a Paxton while using the OZ 250 head just using a AC bracket and a small custom cnc bracket. It was pretty quick.

You can see a few pics of my engine here: Valve Cover Studs Part #. FYI - FordSix Performance Forum

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Are you a guy that just wants a nice running classic to drive around?

The best bang for the buck on a 200 is a large log head milled to bump the CR, a 2V adapter with a Weber carb and a free flowing exhaust.

If its a pre-68, install a 68+ dist.

The 2V isnt going to make much hp, but will tune much easier than the 1V and have a smoother idle.

If you are going to spend more than that, a V8 swap is the better route.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The recent 65 that I bought had headers on the I6. At least it sounds like a V8.....LOL?
True! Dual headers and 2" dual exhaust sound a lot like an A code GT Mustang.

The I6 cars were geared for economy, not performance. In 65, it was possible to get a 3.50"1 Equalock axle, but so few were ordered Ford dropped it. The Dagenham 4-speed was offered in 65-66, also helped a lot, but again quite rare, and dropped after 66.

You can overcome the lack of performance gearing by converting to a T5 5-speed transmission. With 5 gears, it gets a lot lower in the low gears, giving a lot more pep when accelerating.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was just looking at one of those aluminum heads for a 6cyl and it was $2,250 before shipping. That's a good chunk of change and imo would be money better spent on swapping the car over to a v8. Or if you don't have any ties to the car, sell it and buy a car with a v8 already in it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
It's funny how people respond without answering the question you asked. Anyways.

Yes, I am using the aluminum head. So are a lot of people over at fordsix.com. It is expensive. As for availabilty you would have to check with Matt over at vintageinlines.com I am not sure if he has made more if more are in the works.
As for aftermarket parts. He has them. I think Store - Langdon's Stovebolt has some carb alternatives also.

My buddy. Actually i have lost track of him over the years. Bolted on a Paxton while using the OZ 250 head just using a AC bracket and a small custom cnc bracket. It was pretty quick.

You can see a few pics of my engine here: Valve Cover Studs Part #. FYI - FordSix Performance Forum

Haha, guilty as charged. Those OZ head guys can be pretty quick....they love that engine over there, can't say I blame them...makes you wonder if Ford Australia still has the molds for that head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts