Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. I am looking for something different on my 200ci 6cyl.
Ive been reading quit a lot on MPFI. It should be a good compliment to the log manifold. Does anyone have experience?
My grandpa is a machinist/toolmaker and has been excited about helping me to customize the intake.

I have a 250cc head/intake that we want to modify. Does anyone have advice and sketches to help upgrade my classic to modern fuel?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am looking for something different on my 200ci 6cyl.
Your best source for answers will be the FordSix forums....

Not to mention other Ford Six resources...

Basically, there are three options.

First, there's cheap/fun/cool route you mention. Hack off the log and braze/weld/machine bosses for a new intake. Elimiating the log and using six tiny injectors makes your Sprint 6 run right and achieve optimal gas mileage. Unfortunately, the cast iron head is fundamentally flawed for making power, so don't bother. Just shoot for reliability and fuel economy...

Second, it's possible to graft an Aussie 250 "crossflow" head to the 65 200 block. The 250 head's a bit too wide for the 200 block, so you must braze a 1/4" strip of steel or iron to the block. Then you've got to modfiy the pushrod holes, water passages, etc. It's do-able, but the biggest headache is sourcing a good head from Australia. But if you do all that, you get the best pushrod 200 possible.

Third, you USED to have the Classic Inlines "cleveland" head option, but now the project appears to be in Limbo. You'll have to dig to find out if someone is still selling these heads, but this is a much better option. Warning: the Classic Inlines head is shockingly expensive...

Personally, I've looked at hot-rodding the ol' Sprint 6 for years. But I always come back to the same conclusion. Just build a nice 331 stroker V8. You'll save tons of time and money, the weight difference is neglible, you'll make more power, get better handling with a V8, and the resale value of your restomod is much higher,

·
Registered
648 Posts
Update...apparently "Vintage Inlines" bought the "Classic Inlines" and is putting out batches of heads. I suspect this is a Pay-First-Wait-6-Months-To-A-Year kind of deal...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Best bang for the buck is a 80s large log head milled to accept a direct mount Weber 32/36 or Motorcraft 2100. DSII distributor, header, mill the head as much as you can for compression. The old steel head gaskets were .027", the composite replacements are .045" +, so milling the head is required to keep the compression up.

If you go beyond that, its more cost effective to put in a V8, 8" rear end and 5 lug all the way around.

Classic Inlines sells the Falcon Six Handbook for $24. If you want to keep the six, its the best money you can spend.

Im putting a 250 in my 67 coupe with a C9 head, 1V carb and exhaust. Maybe a 2V later, Ive got a new 1V so I may as well use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts