Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 68 coupe-200 cid--and want to add a little horse power to it without alot of money. Clifford says a 2 barrel swap will give me 20-30 more...another inliner says "wont happen". Im also putting classic air sanden compressor, and the kit comes with a huge 6 blade fan they claim is critical...i believe them.
Question??
How much more horse will i save if I go with either a clutch fan or electric?
What about the webber 2 barrel swap...how many more will that really give me..?

The heads in the shop...the cars for my wife..its gonna be mostly stock "daily driver"...just looking for some inexpensive ways to help that six out..

Chris Zocco
68 coupe (wifes anniversary gift)
wish I still had my 68 chevy stepside, and the 69 327 i put in it.
91 Astro kids to school
87 astro cargo work truck, second v-6, sucking oil like mad !!
91 ford f-150 XLT, 302 EFI (I think that would fit in the 68 ??)

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is no hidden horsepower that can be "unleashed" by just bolting something onto that engine. 20-30 additional hp is not going to happen with just a carb swap.

Here's a couple of low cost ideas:
- A clutch fan is a good idea and can free up a couple of horses. An electric will give you more, but I'd be leary of using one of those with A/C as your only cooling fan.
- Bump the timing up. The stock setting is a bit low and the engine is happier and makes more power with 8-10 degrees advance. When setting initial advance, make sure the vacuum is disconnected.
- Get an electronic ignition. Either a Pertronix or a later model Duraspark will help idle quality, mileage, and power.
- Get a lower restriction muffler. The transverse muffler is a power eater. Get a good turbo style muffler and mount it in the normal V8 position on the right side of the car with a v8 style tailpipe. A 2" - 2 1/4" system is sufficient for a stock 200.
- If you want to pursue a carb swap, a Carter YF from a Granada or Maverick is bigger and is easier to adapt. You'll have to fabricate a mounting plate, but that's very simple.
- Duct the air cleaner for cold air instead of sucking up hot air from the engine compartment.

If the budget will stand it, single outlet headers are a good addition, as is the Cliford port divider. For more help, check out the Ford Six Performance forums at http://pub41.ezboard.com/bfordsixcylinderperformanceforum

Jack Collins
1966 Mustang Coupe
250 Aussie Crossflow / T-5

Visit the Mustang Six Website!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have read about using this port divider when installing headers on the 200. Will this also help with stock manifold? Or will it just relieve some cash flow?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go TURBO. I have done three turbo conversions. They're addictive. I usually use Ford Probe turbos and intercoolers or thier twin Mazda M6. These are cheap in junk yards. About $300 for everything. Turbos work great with standard low compression (8-9:1), stock cams, and less than premium transmissions and rear ends because the power builds. You should get 10 horse power for each pound of boost. Therefore, 8 pounds of boost is 80 more hp. Most turbo addicts use 15 pounds. Get the picture? Check out this website for some ideas. www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/8668/tthowto.htm . Contact me if you have questions. Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts