Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 68 convertible that I've been patching parts of the inner rocker. Opened up a place with some small holes to put a patch over. Inside lots of rusty peices, i can see a couple small areas where it's rusted through on the side of the inner rocker. Any ideas to patch it on the inside? Is it a big safety concern?

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 Restomod
174 Posts
It looks like the rust inside is actually inside the torque box. I am probably not the best to comment on this because I tend to overdo everything, but on the convertible, that rocker is the backbone of your "frame". You have no roof structure to add to the equation, so what you see is what you get. I have never owned a convertible, but I think the first sign of trouble is your door gaps at the quarter start to decrease and the doors will rub and it's more difficult to unlatch. It may not be what you want to hear, but I would look deeper into this issue. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
I own a cvt and found the same and much worse rust had taken over. The CVT.s depend on the inner frame rails, the front and rear torque boxes to maintain their strength. I was lucky, in that, I only needed to replace both front torque boxes and both inner frame rails, along with the floors, toe boards etc. It's not a job for the faint hearted. Learn to weld, it'll save you $$$$$$s....ask me how I know.
Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Fender

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally was able to get back on it. I've cut back away from the front and have noticed more rusted out places, outerside of the inner rocker. I actually cut
back to a point that we had put a patch over initially (patch partially pulled back in picture) because the inner rocker had completely rusted through in that spot.
A question is can I just continue with patches on the inside of the inner rocker? With the outside of the inner rocker being in decent shape, would this be strong enough? I suppose just trying to look at all options as I'm not sure I've got the know how for a full replacement.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Tread Bumper

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Gas Tread

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
I, for one, don't see you have a choice based on what you are seeing. Plan on replacing the complete inner frame rail on both sides. Do one side at a time. Also know, if the frame rails are this bad, it's possible the torque boxes are too. The frame rail is welded to the TQ box. I ended up, replacing the front TQ box and inner frame rail on both sides. It's intimidating but within your skill level. You'll need to drill out spot welds where the rat i tied to the bottom of the outer lower sills and all long the inner, where it meets the sill at the top. Also, the floor is tied to all of this mess too. It'll just take time and patience.
I started my project with no tools and no skills. I bought a Plasma cutter a MIG and basic body working tools and with the help of a Mustang Monthly "How to" article, replaced the floors the frame rails, from toe panels, TQ boxes and a section of rotted front driver's side frame rail. I may have the article and will look for it. If I find it, it yours, postage paid within the lower 48.
Happy Trails.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Similar but different situation (;)). Not a rust problem but outer rocker panel damage. Guess someone hit the curb. Cut out damage section and welded patch in place (actually a neighbor welded it). I do believe it came out pretty nice. Need to do a little more massaging to it.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Asphalt
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Asphalt Road surface
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts