Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am almost done removing the passenger side inner rocker on a 68 convertible, I just need to finish removing from the outer rocker where it meets the rear torque box. My question is this: Is there any worse jobs than this? I have removed the front torque box and hated it but the inner rocker in my opinion is alot worse. LMK what you think.

Later~
Jon

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Do a cowl sometime /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
It is a bear to do inner rockers though! And to keep things plum the whole time when you weld it all back /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Good Luck!
D

·
Registered
215 Posts
YUK,YUK,and more YUK. I did it on my 70. Getting em out isn't really a problem. The problem is the all the damn spotwelds. I say again, YUK!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't have to remove the outer rockers unless they are rusted out. I have to replace the front section but that doesn't look to hard compared to doing the whole rocker. It's just a few more spot welds. The toughest part is getting the welds out and using an airchisel on the rocker without damaging the outer rocker(bending or other unthinkable damage). I try doing it in sections so that I don't try to do to much and end up losing my temper and really damaging my project. Check out the rust-o-ration site it gives some good tips and pics. Why does it seem that the only place on my rusted out rockers that is not rusted is where the welds are!
Later~
Jon

·
Registered
259 Posts
For me the hardest piece to remove was the cowl. That thing is spot welded all around with practically no spacing in between. It took the most spot weld drilling that I've ever seen!

That's my vote. Good luck with it. It's soooo much fun isn't it? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts