Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I wanted to replace the inner and outer tie rods. I removed the outer tie rod a few days ago (before I did I marked both to give my the right measurements for the new ones). Today I wanted to remove the innner tie rod on the driver side. Nope! It refuses to let loose. The car is on axle stands but even still there is hardly any room with the headers and power steering cylinder in the way. I disconnected the power steering cylinder and tried to crack it loose by hitting it in different places with a mallet but there is hardly any space so there is not much power. In my frustration I started whacking away at the bolt head...and of course I've now mushroomed it a bit.

I'm going to have to order a pickle fork or pitman arm removal tool and try and give that a go. Can anyone recommend a 'type' that might be best for this please?

Cheers
Grant
www.mymustangjourney.com

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers - Not sure why but when I try that link I get an access denied errror!

I'm going to buy a fork to get the job done. Thanks!

I have this one. I also have the one that looks like a pitman arm puller. As well as the pickle fork.....since your tue rod is damaged now I’d just use the fork.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
I just had to read this thread.....
If this is a "nightmare" you're probably in the wrong hobby.
Thanks for providing my comic interlude for the day.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
Cheers - Not sure why but when I try that link I get an access denied errror!
The O'Reilly website works that way. If it sees that you're on a foreign IP address it assumes you have no need to shop on their site since they don't do international shipping.

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Use the proper tool, it should come off.

When I was parting out Mustangs, I got a fair amount of use from this-

·
Premium Member
10,812 Posts
you mushroomed your rods head. eeeeekkk ! You could try one of those loaner/rental C clamp ball joint type tools that some parts store rent/loan out. If all else fails remove the steering linkage and have it pressed off , pressed off not beat off.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Yep, this tool works daddy oh every time.

20200603_124713.jpg

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Yep, the proper tool (any of the screw-type above) is the way to go with such stuff. They can even be used on show cars, where saving the original joint and boot are important.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts