Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far is the input shaft (smaller one) on a C-4 supposed to stick out? The input shaft on my tranny sticks out past the tranny bellhousing. I just had my tranny rebuilt and that is how it came back to me. Thanks!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,212 Posts
About an inch and a half maybe 2". It's just slipped out from moving the tranny around, happens all the time. Just grab it and twist it around until you feel the splines match up and it will slide back in.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just put the C4 back into my 68' and if i remember correctly only the splines stick out on the input shaft. When you put the tranny in make shure the converter is seated all the way in. By the way how much did the rebuild cost

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The input shaft on my tranny sticks out past the tranny bellhousing

That's not a good thing....back to the rebuilder you go. Take your converter with you and have them, after putting the input shaft back correctly, install the converter and make sure it seats properly as well. Folks who don't secure input shafts (there's a friction cap which covers this area, holds the input shaft in place and protects the pump cavity from dust during shipment) sometimes install pump gears backwards too, which makes installing the converter a bear.

Don't mess with it yourself; take it back to the rebuilder and get their assistance. That's what you paid for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts