Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized that my torque converter doesnt go on because the input shaft will not go in all the way. I tried to pull the shaft out to see if it is in wrong and it wont come out. I am probably going to take the tranny to a shop tomorrow to get it fixed. Any ideas why I am having this problem? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Is it the correct one for your tranny? You should be able to twist and wiggle it and it should go right in.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the original shaft. I had the tranny rebuilt and it came back with the shaft sticking out. I know the end of the shaft is going all the way in to the torque converter because I looked inside the torque converter and it is obvious.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You should be able to turn the converter until the two slots line up and it should slide back into the bellhousing. Don't force it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The torque converter is going on all the way but the shaft is not going in to the engine all the way. (confusing isn't it?)

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
are you POSITIVE that it's going on all the way? The TC will feel like its on all the way, but if you spin and wiggle it a little it will slide on further. The engine won't mate up to the tranny unless the TC is in fully.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Well....its too far for me to drive and check it out.Is it a new convertor? Maybe a bushing has a burr on it

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just went through the same ordeal with mine and it,s an easy fix. If your sure your bottoming out in your tourqe convertor then your center shaft in your trans has slipped out . The center shaft should only have 1/8" to 1/4" of the smooth shaft behind the splines showing if its in all the way if you have more than that put a rag around the splines and grip it tight with a pair of channel lock pliers and tap it out with a hammer then turn the shaft over end for end and give it a good shove back in and your problems are over. Put your convertor back in and turn till you get three stages of entry not two like most people tell you . Your convertor should be well below the flush surface of the bellhouseing if its all the way in .Let me know how it comes out for you Rick aka [email protected]

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The input shaft won't come out or go in. I took it to the tranny shop today and they are going to fix it. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts