Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not looking to buy, build. the money is way to much at the moment but im looking down the road at making a 9 sec car... stang hopefully. i have looked into the 460 stroker, the no replacement for displacement theory. at flatlander.com they have a 460 stroker that goes out to 806 cu inches(9 sec car for sure). has anyone done this? or talked to anyone that has. any 460 stroker at all, how reliable are they. i dont need an engine thatll go 100,000 miles but i dont want to build something that ill have to replace everything after a year or two or go through after ever single race. something that i can put a 1/4 mile at a time on, and take it apart every winter to measure and smooth stuff out. with that engine i was looking at putting a blower on top of it, better/worse then N20? id think blower would be better in the kinda long rub b/c filling n2o gets pricy after a while. forged parts, alum heads yada yada yada are all going on just looking at the block right now for it. plan is to put it in a fox body stang, but might put it in a classic for the right price.... opinions, ideas all welcomed here... ::

i know im insane for this but i wanna crap my pants when im at the track ::

·
Registered
21,366 Posts
The 5.0 boys are running in the 9's with factory stock shortblocks!

Usually they use a good set of heads, intake, centrifical supercharger/turbocharger/bottle. The blocks will hold for a while untill they split down the middle.

If it were me, I'd use a 351W, good heads and a turbocharger. Easy 9's and reliable.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i know 351w and stuff would get me into the 9's pretty easy, but the 460 will get me lower then that.... and the site of having 13.1L on the hood of my car would be priceless when a ricer starts talkin smack :: i want 9's for sure, but the lower i can go the better, but i dont know how reliable that engine or any 460 stroker would be. if i dont find good info on this the 408-427w stroker is top on my list.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I met a guy before I acquired my 460 equipped Mach that was very informative to me 'cuz I didn't know squat about the 460s when I talked to him. He was running a 514 stroker in his 70 Torino. This was a full bodied car, including factory interior and ran high 10s. This was a very reliable car for him and not really all that exotic. As has been stated previously, 9 sec ets in the 1/4 is serious territory and not for the faint of heart. There are much more stringent safety requirements, not to mention the money spent to get there.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Advice #1: KEEP AWAY from Flatlander(screw u coming & going)
#2: Big block is BIG money (but very fun) ::
#3: If you are going to tear it down every winter, then go with the bottle. The stroked 460's need new crank bearings every winter anyway, because of the angles it puts alot of stress on these parts, and the crank. These are not high R.P.M. motors, but the torque is out of this world!!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why do you say stay away from flatlander? i just saw the stroker kit there and wanted to see if anyone has gone that big before. i know 9.99 is the marker for 10 point cage, and all the extra goodies, gotta get the licence and stuff too, my next door neighbor is the head safety inspector out at our local nhra drag track. so i have a good source for safety info :: why go with the bottle? watching stuff like pro mod, the majority of them are running blowers over the juice, i know i wont be running anything close to them but thats just my back ground of thinking for the blower.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I recently met a guy that was running a 65 Falcon with a 460. This was a drag car and not for street use. When I asked him what was done to it. He told me not much. Block was a 460 and not stroked. Had 460 truck heads with some port work. 850 Holley on the top side. No N20 or other means of boost. He said the secret to his setup was that it weighed in at about 2400 pounds and he had a real good fuel delivery system. This car was dialed in the upper 9's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts