Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two or three days I have been dreaming how wonderful my 66 is going to be and how easy it would be to work on the car. Today, I took delivery of my beautiful baby and I realized i am petrified to touch her. i really don't want to screw it up and have my baby in a junk somewhere. But, i am so glad i am starting this project. I know i am going to have a lot of fun doing things to this car.

I was wondering if any of you felt this way when you guys got yours.. I have so many things i want to do i don't know where to start. Hell i don't even know what tools to buy. My electrician came around today and asked me what type of air compressor i wanted. I could not give him a straight answer.. All i know is i want to be able to paint with it. And i hear you have to have a pretty big tank to do such a job. What are you guys' opinions on the essential tools i need and also how big on the air compressor.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well first thing congrats on your new addition. First thing to do is decide what you want the car to be when your done. A concourse car will be different than a daily driver, a restomod different yet. Don't be afraid to make a mistake or two because it is going to happen. I always say anything that can be done can be undone. As far as the Air comp. buy the biggest you can afford you can't have to big of a comperssor in the garage. When comparing look at the output, CFM's, again the more the better.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If it requires metal replacement...Mig welder with Gas, Auto Darkening helmet is a big plus. Lots of clamps, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. If you're planning on painting, you'll probably need a compressor capable of somewhere between 8 and 15 cfm, and probably a 30 - 60 gallon tank. You can get away with less (like me) depending on what you're doing. Impact wrench, air chisel, air cut off wheel, sawzall (air or electric)....I know I'm missing something....Jack Stands...

That'll get you started :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
no! i couldn't wait to dive into mine, actually. its next step was the junk yard anyways, so its not like i could really have screwed it up :)

anyways, as far as tools... thats a loaded question. what do you plan on doing? what tools do you have now? as far as air compressor... i would try my hardest to find one used, something out of an old gas station or something... they are usualy big mama 2 stage compressors that are designed to run all day. if you are doing a full restoration, you are going to beat the snot out of pretty much any compressor sears sells. die grinders, da's, etc... they all take ALOT of air at a high pressure. that being said, if you are not doing a full resto on the car you do not need an air compressor. the only thing i use mine for is metal work (sanding, cutting, air chissel, etc...)

If you don't have basic hand tools... i would start there. get yourself a good set of sockets and combo wrenches... screw drivers, vice grips, etc. make sure you have a nice box to put them in, otherwise you will use them once and never see them again.

good luck!

- jason

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I recommend
2 floor jacks
air compressor (dual stage pump is a must)
air tools - (multiple grinders, straight and angle, impact wrench, air chisel, etc)
pressurised sand blaster
mig welder WITH SHIELDING GAS
electric angle grinder, sawzal, big drill with extra handle...

thats a good start, and of course every wratched socket wrench extention and adapter you can think of

a good oxyacetelen setup comes in handy too

K

·
0 Posts
Everyone seems to be forgetting one of the essentials.......

BFH :: :D

Have fun.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Actually, I only really cringed after I had my fastback mediablasted and saw the full extent of repairs that would be necessary. I also was a little uncomfortable when my friends cut the rear quarters off. Other than that, no problems at all! ::

·
Registered
359 Posts
Today, I took delivery of my beautiful baby and I realized i am petrified to touch her. i really don't want to screw it up and have my baby in a junk somewhere.
Congratulations on the new Mustang!

I know how you feel -- when I first bought my Mustang, I was afraid to work on it. Ever hear of the Midas touch? I have the opposite of that. I wasn't afraid to drive it wherever I was going, though, and even park it and leave it in crowded parking lots.

Nowadays, I have no problem taking it apart, drilling holes in it, modifying it, and generally improving it (I hope). Ironically, the more work I put into it, the less willing I am to use it as a daily driver. ::

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I think we've all felt the way you do now, as we all started somewhere.

Start with the basics, and work yourself into more complicated jobs and therefore tools.

If something's broken, how badly can you further break it? And even if you have, did you learn something about your mustang in the process? On my fastback, I learned only a little as I was afraid to dive right in. I'm learning a lot more on my rusty I-6 coupes as I don't hesitate to work on them.....Most of us are still learning ! ::

Good luck ! Dickson

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know what you mean, for my first car I wanted to make sure things were done right the first time. Just be patient and get what you want to end up with. Cutting corners is not a good way to go and if it looks un-safe or you need help from someone to lift-hold or pull then ask.

I made the mistake of moving the car on my own once and got pinned between the garage door and the car for a few moments. I had 2 large bruises on either leg about a foot long when I squeezed myself out. I thought I broke my hips or something.

And on a little note, have fun!

Restomod is very popular.

W.Thompson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts