Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The panels inside my 66 Fastback are kind of dingy. I've been looking for a complete interior replacement kit but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. My brother had a suggestion... if the panels are in good shape but just faded, can they be painted? I'm not sure if the panels that are in there are painted in the first place. I think I would want a new, shiny set of interior hardware, but if those panels are painted, then I'm good to go... I'm sure someone knows on this forum.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Almost all of the interior panels on your '66 Fastback are either metal, fiberglass or plastic and can be painted. The most important step is the surface preparation. Stripping any old paint that may have been applied over the years is crucial, followed by a good primer and then your final color coats. It is not a difficult job, but it does take time and patience.
Once you have the painting done, you can can purchase and install a new set of door trim panels and the necessary replacement hardware. When completed, your interior can look like new! Ive attached a picture of my '66 interior after I did mine. Every panel in the picture was refinished. NPD can supply all the materials you need.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Prior to sending your car in for paint would be the ideal time to remove all those panels. You will have plenty of time to do the job right and have a fresh interior to put back in your freshly painted exterior.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I'm looking for a screw replacement kit for the interior. Any suggestions? It seems odd NPD would not differntiate b/t a Coupe and a Fastback for a hardware kit...

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
I used the rattle can paint from NPD to freshen up my '70 Mach 1 interior panels. Turned out very nice!

I would suggest cleaning and scuffing with Scotch Brite pads rather than sandpaper. Less likely to remove the texture on the panels. Also, just use very light coats of primer. You can easily fill in the texture with primer and paint.

If you have any cracks or chips in the panels, I have found a two-part epoxy adhesive works very well for repairs. Unlike most glues, epoxy will fill gaps. Then you can scuff, sand or do anything needed to make it look presentable. Just be careful.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
So, I'm looking for a screw replacement kit for the interior. Any suggestions? It seems odd NPD would not differntiate b/t a Coupe and a Fastback for a hardware kit...
Highly recommend the AMK interior fastener kit. I got mine from NPD, but I don't recall if it was specifically for a fastback. It's kind of a universal kit for the model and year. Likely, you won't use every fastener. So, I can see how one kit would work for both coupe and fastback.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the rattle can paint from NPD to freshen up my '70 Mach 1 interior panels. Turned out very nice!

I would suggest cleaning and scuffing with Scotch Brite pads rather than sandpaper. Less likely to remove the texture on the panels. Also, just use very light coats of primer. You can easily fill in the texture with primer and paint.

If you have any cracks or chips in the panels, I have found a two-part epoxy adhesive works very well for repairs. Unlike most glues, epoxy will fill gaps. Then you can scuff, sand or do anything needed to make it look presentable. Just be careful.
I just looked at your project, looks awesome!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I recently repainted my interior panels and used vinyl and plastic paint .
It looks better than the gloss black I sprayed 30 years ago.
Don't skip on the prep.

Reactions: dh_66_fastback

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, any suggestions on the right primer? NPD has lots, self etching, etc... what have you had luck with regarding primer?

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
Hey guys, any suggestions on the right primer? NPD has lots, self etching, etc... what have you had luck with regarding primer?
I didn't want to fill in the grain on the parts that had it, so I just cleaned it, made a pass with wax and grease remover and painted it with the rattle can solution from NPD. Turned out great.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't want to fill in the grain on the parts that had it, so I just cleaned it, made a pass with wax and grease remover and painted it with the rattle can solution from NPD. Turned out great.
You didn't primer at all? Hmmm, interesting. I was thinking that if I put even a slight bit too much primer it would fill in the texture. I have the rattle cans from NPD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a heads up, SEM makes an interior paint with a texture for the grain that you may or may not loose during sanding the rough spots.
Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Well, there are screws all over the place in the rear half of the fastback interior, while the hardtop has only a few. I'd get the AMK Products kit, which is perfect, and each different type of screw in in a little labelled bag so you cannot put the wrong screw in the wrong place.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, 22GT, I looked again and found the hardware kit for my car. I just didn't read the descriptions correctly, but good now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts