Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to take my '85 down to the shell for restoration. Like others, it will probably be off the road for the next two years. Has anybody gotten any grief from Pennsylvania DMV for leaving the car registered without having it inspected? Skipped registration? (I'm hearing they made some new rules on this, but not what the rules are). How have you handled insurance for the car in the interim?
Any help appreciated,

Carl

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Don't know about PA but here in KS I dropped the Tag and Insurance 7 years ago. When I go to retag I was told (by the tag office) to bring Vin #'s, title and pics.
Why pay for something you don't need or can't use!

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
In Illinois your homeowners insurance will cover your car when it is in the process of restoration. It is considered autoparts! It just cannot be licensed at that point in time. But it has to be at home and not in storage!

Illinois will give you grief when it comes time to get the plates again. They will try to make you pay for the years it was not driven. If you can show the car was undrivable you can win that one.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I can tell you for a fact that in WV a car under restoration in the garage is not covered in the event of a house fire.
http://www.cemr.wvu.edu/~wwwasph/pictures/mustang/FIREMustang2s.JPG

·
Registered
560 Posts
Carl,
let the registration expire and send the plate to PennDOT. Unless the tag is a personalized plate, when you are ready to register it go to a notary and they will issue you a new one. I don't know how it works with getting an expired personalized tag re-registered. As for inspection, there is nothing that links the reg. and insp. together other than the car must be registered and insured to get it inspected. If it were me I would let the reg run out. When I'm ready to get out on the road again I would get insurance and then go to the notary and get it registered. Once registered and insured you can get it inspected. Also, if your 85 is not a daily driver, you can apply for classic tags since it is over 15 years old. That means you pay a one time reg fee of $100 which is good for as long as you own the car. If youhave any more questions about this stuff for PA send me a PM.

G

·
0 Posts
Most states (including PA) I've been in (military) don't reallyl care about the inspection after the first time to get the tags. After that you can keep your registration good without having it inspected. I've done this in the following States:

NC
CT
CA
PA
RI

The only state that gave me grief about not having my car inspected for 3 years was NC...and they wanted me to pay $300 in fines and back penalties. I told them where to shove the fines and penalties and I re-registered in CA. The only hard part was explaining to CA DMV why I had let my registration expire for 6 months and why I was seeking a CA registration.

Good Luck

What part of PA are you in?

Slade

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had my Mach 1 unregistered since 1993. I turned in the plates and of course let the inspection lapse since the car has been on the rotisserie since 1993. I have a special insurance policy that covers the car, or parts from damage in the house. I would suspect that when it is time to get it back on the road I will take the title and new insurance to AAA and have it reregistered, then insepcted. This is in PA.

G

·
0 Posts
From personal experience in PA, it's not a problem with the state, but check your local ordinances. I had to have my '73 Grande hauled away and got only $75 for it-that was for a GOOD 351C, C6, and 9" rear, and new interior. My local municipality considers any unregistered/uninspected car "junk" and will fine you $1,000 per week if you don't remove it afer the zoning officer comes snooping around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts