Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my Motor 289 and transmission AT are out of the car being rebuilt. I'm going to install both myself with some help in my 2 car garage. For those of you that have done it before, is it easier to do the motor first and then transmission or transmission first? I don't feel comfortable installing both at the same time so I''d prefer putting the tranny in from underneath. What order would you go? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
As stated above. I just did this. Dropped the engine in first then put the trans on after. I've read some people have done both by lifting the rear up.

·
Dimples
4,847 Posts
If you have to do them separately, definitely engine then trans. I would personally prefer to put both in at the same time if you can, just because it sucks to bench press a transmission into place. Done it both ways, both ways work.

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
Do yourself a favor and install the engine and trans as an assembled unit. You'll likely never do them separately again. It all goes in easy-peasy. Just put the rear diff on jack stands as high as they go. You'll need a friend you help you guide it in. Nothing more.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you have to do them separately, definitely engine then trans. I would personally prefer to put both in at the same time if you can, just because it sucks to bench press a transmission into place. Done it both ways, both ways work.
Unless you have a transmission jack.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Get an engine leveler from Harbor Freight, they are cheap and can make the install a one person operation. You don't need the 2 ton capacity, but it appears to be much better built than the cheaper one. This thing will allow you to tilt the engine while it's on the hoist.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
In my thinking, and I've installed them both ways. Having the engine out of the car and attaching the tranny, is easier. If for noting else, than the alignment and final fit of the torque convertor to the engine, it's just easier, than laying beneath the car and trying to align them. It' the second step in the Torque convertor that;s the key,

·
Registered
546 Posts
Be aware that if you install them together it is a long assembly that has to be positioned a steep angle to be able to tuck the tranny into the tunnel. Angleing the tranny down causes the front of the engine to rise up and if you didn't hang the load low enough the front of the engine can contact the hoist arm. I assumed hanging it high and keeping the chain short would give me more control but it didn't work out that way, I had to put the load down and hang it lower. Lesson learned.

Gregg

·
Registered
985 Posts
I pulled my motor with motor/trans together and it was pretty easy with a leveler. I installed motor first then trans because it seemed easier with the painted engine bay, etc. And I was by myself. I made a custom fixture for my jack to jack up the trans under the pan and it was actually pretty easy to align the torque converter and get them mated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts