Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the original 1100 off my ‘66 yesterday, and put on an 1101 I picked up a while ago. Though the old carb used to run good when the car was driven regularly, it was getting increasingly crotchety in its old age. Eventually the new carb will go on my big log head, which it was intended for. But for now, the 1101 sits on an adaptor I made out of an old carb spacer, as it wasn’t intended for the small log head. The adaptor details are in an older post. The throttle linkage fit well, though I had bought a new adjustable link in case it needed changes. The old one was just right as it was. I still might need adjustments when I put on the big valve head though. Despite the adaptor using a carb spacer upside down, the PCV nipple is in the same place. I was able brutalize an old 1940 choke tube into submission, shortening and rebending it a bit, but I think an 1100 choke tube would be a better starting point. I didn’t see a new ‘69 250 1101 choke tube for sale anywhere. I couldn’t find a right angle fitting for the distributor vacuum port in my plumbing parts cabinet, the straight one will do for now. The fuel line hooked up no problem, the two carbs are very similar there. The old air cleaner wasn’t going to fit on the new carb, so I adapted a 1964 Galaxy air cleaner. Construction details for that are in another post too. The 1101 is a little taller than the 1100, but I was able to get away with a little bit taller and bigger diameter air filter element. Not a lot of hood clearance, but enough. I don’t have insurance back on the car yet, so I just drove around the neighborhood a bit. Seemed to run good. I wondered, as the 1101 was a single dashpot model, and my car has an automatic. But my original 1100 was a single too, and it ran pretty good in its day. I got the new carb cheap enough I was willing to take a chance. The pics here don’t really show much, you can’t see the adaptor underneath, but for what it’s worth, here they are. And yes, I have some heater hose to get rid of that old splice, but that will have to wait for now. As long as the cooling system is drained I’m going to do some other maintenance on it as well.
EF5CD00F-EAA2-462C-8C35-D4BD5893AF78.jpeg
A3659D67-BA79-424B-B838-CB246CDCE0DA.jpeg

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
It appears that your carburetor is machined and threaded for a Spark Control Valve, which would be correct for installation on a '66 with the Load-O-Matic distributor, but I don't see on installed. It goes in the threaded hole directly to the left of the vacuum advance hose connection. If the hole is simply threaded, but not drilled through and you DO have a Load-O-Matic distributor your spark advance will be maxed out the minute the engine fires up and will pretty much remain there.... the L-O-M has no mechanical (centrifugal) advance mechanism and works off a maximum vacuum signal of around 4"hg.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appearances can be deceiving! Pic doesn't show it clearly, but there's nothing there. It's a tab standing proud of the carb body, no passage into the carb at all, there's nothing behind it but the throttle and choke linkages. I wonder if it might be for some kind of solenoid to give a little goose to something back there on other models. Anyway, I put a newer distributor on the car last year.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and while I've got some knowledgeable people looking at this, I have a question. Is the white capped tube at the top of the carb a clean filtered air source for the choke tube, running down to the bottom side of the exhaust manifold? If not, what is it for?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Your choke tube is attached properly. It doesn't go into an open hole in the manifold (there is a tube that goes through the manifold and is open to the air below the manifold). The tube that comes out above the choke may be a port for a PCV system.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve seen some choke tube sets with two tubes, one insulated, the other not, the uninsulated tube being longer and with more bends. Not for my model carb and car, but similar. That’s what made me think that might be the purpose. I’ve never seen a pic with it all in situ though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been poking around the internets, found a diagram of the 1101 where that tube is labeled “clean air tube”. But clean air for what it doesn’t say.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A clean air tube update for the benefit of future searchers - You don't find much here about 1101 details, but searching clean air tube in general gave me some new information. At least some carbs on V8s have a clean air tube, and yes, as I had surmised, it is a source of filtered air for the choke hot air tube. It runs from that tube on the carb down under the exhaust manifold to the bottom of the passage through the manifold with the choke tube on top. I still haven't found any new parts, but it shouldn't be very hard to cobble something together. I'll probably bend it up out of soft copper tubing. The hard part is the fitting under the manifold. It's a press fit, and needs to be a right angle as space is limited. Hard to see and access. I'm not going to pull the exhaust manifold to do it now, I think I'll wait until I do my head swap. Not sure when I'll have that ready though with all the business disruptions lately. But there you go, an 1101 carb installed on a small log head, with no fancy store bought parts, and the custom parts (the carb adaptor and air cleaner, detailed in other posts) made with the equivalent of a rock and a sharp stick.

Reactions: BigKoppa
1 - 8 of 8 Posts