Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new water pump from Checker. Replaced the old one. I was thinking "this is way to easy" After I finished installing the new pump I started it up and there's this klink like every time the top pulley does a full circle. So I losened up the belt and turned the fan by hand. I can hear the rubbing. It is coming from the top pulley and the Alternator arm bolted on the water pump.

http://members.cox.net/tsmumpow/rub.JPG

What could be the problem? There was no rubbing before the new pump. I tired readjusting the arm and spun the fan freely with no rubbing. Started up the engine again and it was back.

Opinions appreciated as always.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Two things come to mind....Somewhat Related. Perhaps, one or more of the bolts holding the fan on is too long, and is rubbing on the nose of the snout. Second, because of the above problem, or a similar one, the pulley is not tight against the water pump and is wobbling slightly, causing the intermittant rubbing. Try taking the bolts out again, and put washers between the bolts and the fan (to pull them out a bit, and tighten back up. See if that helps

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All try that tomorrow but I don't see how it will help. The rubbing is defiantly coming from the alt. arm and the top pulley.

When the belt is off and the fan spins freely there is no rubbing. It's when tension is applied to the belt when the rubbing starts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
paul... I put an extra washer on there on top of the original lock washer. Noise is still there.

I'm just going to grind down the alt. arm a little and see if that helps.

Maybe the noise isn't even coming from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts