Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Moving forward with my GT40P swap. I'm installing an E303 cam in my 1999 Ford Explorer engine. The cam did not come with an information sheet. I purchased Crane spring kit 44308-1. The spring kit says installed height of 1.950. On ford's performance website on the E303 cam, it says installed spring height of 1.820. This is my first time doing a job like this. I'm assuming I need to use the 1.820 height since that's what the actual cam lists?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not enough information.........Did ford list actual spring pressure rating for the cam? Open and on seat pressure? Did the crane spring kit match this rating for the cam? If the spring kit did match I would use the crane specs installed height to match their spring specs. Don't know the lift for this cam, be sure to check for coil bind at full lift, another reason to install at crane specs.

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
Installed valve spring height isn't dependent at all on the camshaft but on the cylinder head(s), valves and valve retainers used. Valve spring compressed height (coil bind) is important to the camshaft specs. Per the instructions, with stock heads and valves I would use what they have specified: - Recom’d installed spring pressure and height (valve closed)-------------118 lbs. @ 1.950” - Open checking pressure and height ---------------------------------------------375 lbs. @ 1.380” - Maximum recommended valve lift and RPM ----------------------------------.560” - 6500 RPM

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
HooDoo, how did you choose this cam, and why ? WC is right, you need to use the specs that came with the springs, if the springs are up to the job. Camshafts don't list installed spring height, so I'm not sure where your getting that number, unless it is from whatever spring Ford reccommends for that cam, which doesn't seem to be the spring you have,......are you setting this up yourself or having it done ? LSG

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No science or real knowledge in what parts I chose other than reading what others did. Since I'm new to this and have never done an engine build before, I wanted an already established recipe using Ford parts if possible. I saw that LMR listed the E303 as a good cam for carb'd engines and a mild build. Since the GT40P was a common upgrade for foxbody guys, I searched their forums and found a common theme with the spring, cam and dual plane intake/carburetor recipe that I purchased. The posts were of course old, but folks reported good power and ease of installation with this setup. The only thing I haven't really found was the spring height measurement. Those fox forums are mostly dead, especially when it comes to answering questions regarding old engine technology. Oh and you are correct. The 1.820 height I saw was actually with the springs they recommended, which are ford racing springs.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
HooDoo, is this just a plan, or do you already have these parts ? If you don't already have the cam in the engine, there are plenty of other choices. But, if you already have it, then go ahead and use the 1.95 spec that Crane says. LSG

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I already have the parts so I'll go ahead and install the springs at the height Crane suggests. Again, thanks for all the help everyone. First cam swap here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts