Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this question most likey been ask before. i just got my seat belts from wesco performance and i was wondering were i mount the hardware in the door post in my 67 stang

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Coupe? Fastback? Are you talking upper mounts or lower retractor mounts?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
upper mounts its a coupe

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Craig,
Is there a difference in the two? I used the unused stock holes in my fastback along the headliner and placed the retractor here:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/538000-538999/538694_77.jpg

You need to make a couple of nut plates - nuts welded on to some flat stock and make sure you place a screw in the nut before welding.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Here's a picture of the location where you need to add the anchor. This is my '67:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/med_1192941866-ShoulderBeltAnchorPoint.JPG

Frank

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Per Crusty's pic, I guess I would fab the anchor plate behind the round hole though it doesn't look like there's too much flat area for the plate to sit flush against. So you might need to reduce the length and width of the plate, depending on what hardware you received in the kit.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
But looking at the angle of the metal immediately surrounding the square hole, I don't see any real flat area that the piece of stock could sit against except to the left. Thus my reason to go for the hole that has some decent flat area all around. Good for welding. Some people might not want to weld in the plate so you would then consider using a couple small flat head machine screws to help hold the plate in place while installing the belt system. You could use the small hole to the left of the big hole and then drill another small hole between the big hole and square hole. Mark and drill and tap two small holes in the stock plate that align up with the two little holes in the car.

Just another option.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I don't see any problem with screwing it on since you are using another grade 8 bolt and tightening the plate with that up against the body anyway.

Preferred method would be airplane pop riveted to hold the plate then use the grade 8 bolt to fasten the seatbelt to it. I showed this to my friend that works for Boeing and is familiar with airplane quality pop rivets. Those rivets can hold, withstand more than we can do in a car for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts