Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i was wondering if anyone has installed or knows how to install the 67 brushed aluminum decor taillight panel. i drilled the holes for the mounting studs and its in place i just need to know if there should be some sort of sealer behind it like a gasket or caulking or something .. Reason why i'm asking is because its not really flush to the body of the car.. and i'm curious on how others installed theirs .. so please post .. it would help me alot. thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The panel studs that go through the tail light housing(s) need nothing but a nut to secure them. The others that go through the tail light panel use a wedge shaped rubber seal on the trunk side. Tighten the stud nuts on these, just enough to get some compression on the wedge, sealing off the hole the stud comes through.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Buy some pink erasers-cut them into wedge shapes to match curvature of rear panel- paint with grey primer-drill 1/8" thru the middle --WALLA !!
about 3/4" wide X 1" long X 3/16 " on thin end

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
small gaps in the panel can be filled with 3M "strip caulk" Use it soft, push it in the gap, remove the excess with your finger nail, wipe it down with was & grease remover (NOT LAQUER THINNER)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts