Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an MSD Billet distributor ready to run and need help on installing it. What are the steps on installing it and what should I look out for? Also need steps on adjusting the timing. It's for a 68 mustang 289. What is the correct degrees for it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. Take your current distributor cap off.

2. Turn your engine over to TDC. You should have timing degree markers on your hamonic balancer.

3. Make sure the rotor is mapped to the 1st firing position.

4. Unbolt the distributor and pull it out.

5. Put the new distributor in place making sure that the number '1' lines up w/ the position of the old number '1' position.

6. Tighten down the distributor enough to hold it in place and try to turn over the motor.

7. After this you'll want to get your timing light out and setup the system as you best see fit (0 is a good starting spot). It's more academic if you ask me, but I'll need to know more to help you with the adv/retarding.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Before removing the old distributor note the position of the rotor and make a mark where it is pointing, when re-installing the distrubuter be sure the rotor is pointing where the previous rotor was, then note the position of the vacuum advance and make sure the distributer is positioned as close as possible to the old distributer position. Someone else will have to help you with the timing specs...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
A couple of links that might help...Adobe acrobat files from Autotronics....

Distributor wiring....general overview, not necessarily your application.

Installation instructions for Pro-Billet distributors....general instructions pertain but there may be wiring differences.

I'm surprised your distributor didn't come with instructions...the manual with the Billet distributor in the race car was quite thorough...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts