Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before removing my old distributor, should i need to worry about setting the timing? or can i just pull it out and worry about timing the engine after the new distributor is installed? i was able to have someone lend me a timing light but not sure how to use it or what degrees or setting the engine should be on? its kind of sad when i bring my car to a local mechanic and i show them what i have with the new distributor and custom spark plug wires, etc.. Basically if their computer can not tell them YES it can be installed these new mechanics don't know jack.. its hard to find a good mechanic to work on my car.. i would appreciate anyones help.. Thanks!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I never bother with marking a distributor when I pull it, but many do.

The best way, IMHO, is to just yank the old one, then bring the no. 1 piston to TDC of the COMPRESSION STROKE (exhaust stroke won't cut it). Put your distributor cap on the distributor, and make a small mark on the distributor body, showing where the no. 1 plug wire will be. Then drop the distributor in so that the rotor is pointing at the mark on the distributor, fire it up and time it.

To use the timing light, you'll put the inductive pickup on the no. 1 plug wire. Look at the clip, as some need to be oriented a certain way, and will have an arrow and say "this side towards plug". Then, if the engine is basically stock, I'd keep the timing basically stock, which is 6 degrees BTDC.

Most people make installing a distributor WAY harder than it should be. To get the distributor to align with the oil pump drive shaft, all you have to do is put the distributor in as far as it will go, put the rotor on the distributor, and while pushing down on the distributor crank the engine. As soon as they align, the distributor will drop the rest of the way in. I constantly hear of people spending tons of time trying to line them up, and it's just not necessary. R&Ring a distributor is a very simple process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts