Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a good place to install my new aftermarket stereo deck. I was thinking it could go under the dash in a hacked console, but I'd prefer it somewhere hidden so I can preserve the vintage feel. I can install it in the glovebox, but then It'll be difficult to adjust anything while driving. My latest idea is to install the stock radio in the dash slot, and the aftermarket one in the glovebox, and wire up the controls on the stock radio to the controls on the aftermarket one, so that I could change the volume and the station just by turning the knobs on the stock radio.

How hard would this be to do? A remote came with my aftermarket stereo, I was thinking that I could crack this open and solder some wires to the contacts, and then run them to the volume and tuning knob shafts, but I don't know how to make a turning shaft trigger an electric impulse.

Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Here's what I am doing to get music for my 65.

Belkin makes an FM transmitter device that you plug into a 12V supply, then plug in your Ipod or other MP3 player and it will transmit music from your MP3 to your FM radio.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
BTW, the Belkin FM transmitter costs $19.95 at Walmart

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Put it in your glove box and use a remote.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can the remote work with the glovebox closed?

There's a wire on the back of the radio labeled "remote," i think it's an antennea wire, so if i just run that to the bottom of the dash, i should be able to get reception there, correct?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Did the new stereo come with instructions? If not, as stated above, we'll need to know the model number to see how the remote functions. If it's a wireless remote, install the stereo in the glovebox ( or trunk ) and use the remote. If it's a wired remote, run the remote wire under the dash to a location near the ignition switch. Leave some slack in the wire, and attach the remote with velco.

Trying to make the remote work with the stock radio will be an exercise in frustration, unless you have a background in analog to digital control conversion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That remote wire is usually to provide external amplifiers an 'on/off' signal, not for antennas or remote controls...but I could be wrong as I don't know the make/model of radio you are working with.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pioneer DEH-1900MP

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a wireless remote; You think it will work fine with the glovebox door shut?

Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
77 Posts
arggg...I had a nice response written and then I accidentally hit the wrong key and refreshed the page. anyways...

1) That remote wire is definitely to send the 'on' signal to an external amp. So it won't be of help to you in this situation.

2) The remote will mostly likely NOT work with the glove box door shut as it uses an Infrared (IR) signal to communicate, thus needing a direct line of sight to the front of the radio.

3) There is still hope because you can use an IR Repeater to fix your problem. It is basically a sensor at one end that mounts anywhere on the face of the radio where it normally picks up remote control signals and then the other end of the wire is put somewhere that can have a direct line of sight with the remote while you are driving. So one end of the cable goes on the radio, and the other can go by your leg under the dash. We use an IR Repeater in my house to operate the cable box as its hidden in a closet where the remote can not access it and it works great.

I did some quick research, and it looks like you can use something like this;

http://store.mp3car.com/v/vspfiles/photos/COM-010-2.jpg
IR Repeater

A more extensive Google search will land you more options but this one should get the job done.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The easiest option is to install a Sony AM/FM/CD head unit in the glovebox and then simply plug into the back of the head unit their optional "Rotary Commander". This is a wired remote that you can install permanently or with velcro. I used this setup in my 1966 Fairlane and placed the remote under the console lid, out of sight. The nice thing about this remote, as opposed to others, is that its unique shape allows you to use it by "feel" without taking your eyes off the road, unlike other remotes. I love mine!

Good luck, Dave

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the IR repeater, I may look into something like that. Thanks for the idea.

My glovebox insert isn't installed, so I've been building a wooden shelf to mount in the glovebox hole to mount my stereo on, and it actually looks good. I'll take some photos and show you my handiwork.

Thanks for the replies
-Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts