Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a phenonlic manifold spacer between my cobra lower intake and Comp Cams upper intake. Some mfg's use 2 gaskets, some say to use black silicone rtv. on the lower side. Anyone have some advice which route to go?

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Gaskets. If you are worrying about vaccum leaks, put a thin....THIN...coat of grease on both sides of the gaskets. Also, when using phenolic spacers, TRIPLE CHECK your bolt length that you have bolts long enough. Otherwise you will end up with some stripped threads. I bought the cobra spacer kit for my 5.0 and the 2 center bolts were just a bit too short. I think there were only 3-4 full threads that were grabbing. I didnt torque them very tight and one of them stripped. I had to source longer bolts from a local nut & bolt place. One stripped bolt will most likely give you a slight vacuum leak.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
When I installed the Cobra intake on my 95 GT I used a spacer with it. All I did was put a gasket on both side and bolted it together. Never have had a problem with it in the 5 years since I did it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I used 2 gaskets, and already had longer bolts.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts