Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read what feels like every thread on installing new carpet. The back piece fit in perfectly, no problems whatsoever. The front piece is a completely different story. As noted in previous threads, the issue is the extra material over the transmission column. I have tried several things to get it to fit with no success. I have tried to lay the carpet out in the sun for a day, let it sit in the car for a few days, heated the front and back with a heat gun to help it mold.....nothing has helped.

If there is anything that may have worked for you guys that I have not mentioned I would love to hear them. I'm just about at the point where I 'give up' and take it down to a shop and have them do it! (Although I really don't want to)

Or if anyone in the Los Angeles area would like to come by and help me out with it, lunch and beer is on me!!:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Post this in the SoCal forum. You might get some help there. Good luck.
Stan

·
Registered
823 Posts
Had the exact same problem with a 68. Big wrinkle next to the gas pedal. Got most of it out but finally gave up and just living with it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got my driver's side to lay down nicely, but my passenger side fit is far from perfect with wrinkles and bubbles. Apparently the repop kits aren't a perfect fit. I'm going to wait until a nice hot summer day, then go at it with a heat gun and lots of upholstery adhesive.

paulw
Torrance, CA
1968 Coupe

·
VMF Ambassador
6,665 Posts
The PO of my car had a similar problem apparently, because my carpet has diagonal slits cut in it on either side of the transmission hump and has been sewed up again for a better fit. Probably not the best solution since it puts 2 extra seams in the carpet, but might be worth trying if you can't get anything else to work

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The PO of my car had a similar problem apparently, because my carpet has diagonal slits cut in it on either side of the transmission hump and has been sewed up again for a better fit. Probably not the best solution since it puts 2 extra seams in the carpet, but might be worth trying if you can't get anything else to work
I would hate to cut brand new carpet! Rip my heart out why don't you! Haha. There has to be another way....and I will figure it out!

·
VMF Ambassador
6,665 Posts
Baha, I hear you on that. Just presenting the alternative that someone else found! :) I wouldn't go cutting up carpet immediately either, as expensive as it is.

...But neither am I complaining about my carpet, because it fits perfectly :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts