Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now seen 4 sources for adjustable strut rods for 65-66's. We all know about TCP ($400) and Global West ($300). They both seem like bolt-in installations. There are also two similar ones I have seen that look like they require a slight modification to the front strut mounting point. Once is from Cobra Automotive in New England and the other I caught from a previous post was from Delta Bay. They both run around $200 and may actually be the same unit. Has anyone installed either of these? What is the modification necessary? I thought BillGear replied once on the Cobra Automotive unit, but I don't think he mentioned the modification. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Cobra says to remove the stock mount in the instructions. I left alone and mounted like this. I had to shorten the rods about a 1".
http://www.289mustang.com/images/strutrod.jpg

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Adjustable strut rods are fine for smooth roads but since they don't have much cushioning they pass vibrations on to the body so you'll know you have them installed and they are more subject to breaking if you hit a pothole. If you wish to have adjustable strut rods in your '65/'66 make them up yourself from '67 strut rods. This requires flattening the flat end a bit more, using the inside hole as the outside hole, drilling a new hole for the front hole (carefully) and cutting off the end to shorten it so it will fit. On the threaded end, I understand that Chevy Nova bushings fit well.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Bill - Do you use your rods to set caster?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Impressive Bill. A fast response and a quality picture. Both are much appreciated. Do you mind if I ask you two more questions?

(1) When you cut 1" off the bars, did you have to re-thread them at all or was there still enough adjustment left to dial it in?

(2) I also noticed you have Procar car seats in your '66, Rally model I think. How do you like them and how is it getting in and out with the additional side bolsters? (If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you too, as I'm 6' 1" and have just enough headroom in my '66).

On the other notes for modifying '67 struts, I've read quite a few posts on this to make me wonder how well it can be done, especially by me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Have you had an adjustable heim-joint style strut rod break on you? To me it seems like a better design since, unlike a rubber or poly bushing, the heim-joint allows the rod to move up and down freely, so there would actually be less stress on the rod (most of the force being transmitted to the coil spring) and therefore less likely to break.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I do use the strut rods for caster, but I have heim jointed lowed control arms also. You would likely bind up a stock type lower if you pulled in to much caster with the strut rod.
I have not noticed any harshness due to the strut rods, and we have very bad streets were Iive.

1. There is enough thread to cut the strut rod..

2. The procar seats are very nice, I did lower my seats
pans 1 1/2 inches. All the aftermarket seats are higher
then stock. I'm 6-0 with short 30" legs, you'll need to lower
the pans..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts