Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am planning on installing an 4R70W transmission in my 1967 Mustang Convertible. The guy building my motor stated that the 4R70W does not fit perfectly and I may have to rework the tranny tunnel. Has anyone done this swap that can comment on how hard the install was. The motor I am planning on using is a 347 stroker motor (from a 302 roller block).

I want a more modern electronic transmission that will be the easiest to install. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
No work needed on the tunnel. You may want to reconsider your choice of mechanic. Not disrespecting his mechanical aptitude, just saying if he's not aware it fits fine, what else doesn't he know?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
There are a couple of 'tabs' that can be sawed off to provide more clearance.

That said, the '67 was designed to fit a 390/428 motor with a C6 transmission - more room than the '65-'66.

It will fit and is a great piece.

·
rdnck1
233 Posts
The tunnel will be fine, headers are a different story so you'll need to research that some.

·
7,010 Posts
It's a very nice upgrade, but it is pretty involved. The one thing that is not required is work on the tunnel.

I did my own. I'd be interested in how much a shop would charge for this swap. It took me a couple of months to do mine....but that was back when you had to fabricate a lot of things (like a crossmember, wiring harness, etc.) yourself as there were less companies making off-the-shelf parts for the swap.

I guess I'd be shocked and amazed if (including parts) you could get it done for less than $3000 or $4000.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts