Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I am hoping to install the chrome valve cover and Chrome air intake on our car this weekend. I had couple of questions in regards to the PCV hose which you guys answered. Thank you.

Now, I need to figure out if there is anything else I should know about before attacking this project.
Is replacing the valve cover only requires me to do the following steps:
1) remove the six nuts on each valve cover
2) replacing the gaskets on each valve cover
3) reinstall the valve covers using the chrome wingnuts they sent me
4) connect the PCV hoses and put on the Oil Brather cap

Is that all there is to it? Is it really that simple?

As for the air intake, the two sided screw/bolt (Where the wing nut screws to) that they sent me does not fit my carburator. Is there a place that I can buy a longer screw than what is on the carburator now?

Thanks in advance for your help
Amir

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, it's that easy , but I would put a small coating of silicone gasket sealer on each side of the gasket; before putting on the valve cover. It makes for a better seal. You can get the proper size double threaded bolt at any hardware store. Just be really careful not to drop any bolt , nut washer , etc down the carb. That can happen SO EASILY. Don't laugh , I 've done it myself ! Tom

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Remember to tighten the valve cover bolts in sequence starting with the two middle ones and working out in an X pattern going from the top right one to the lower left and vice versa. If you are installing steel covers be sure to tighten them gently to avoid dimpling the flanges. You can buy adaptors for the air cleaner stud. It will have a larger male thread for the carb and a smaller one for the stud for the air cleaner. Or...you can just upsize to the same size stud and wing nut the carb accepts (unless you have a decorative Ford emblem wing nut like I do).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts