Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Installing coolant overflow container on LH front fender apron. Problems?

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  JohnnyK 
#1 ·
Looking to install it right at the front of the drivers side fender apron (Right up against the radiator support). Is anything supposed to fit in that location, or am I good? A picture would be better even if anyone has one. It's a square container, and I want to shove it there so I still have room for the washer bag/reservoir.

There is also a hole in the middle/top of that fender apron. What is that hole for? If it's important, think it's ok to lower the coolant reservoir? It will be about 1/2 up the radiator if I do that.. Or must it be right at the top. Thanks guys!

#4 ·
Awesome.. Thanks guys! So nothing there.. I see there ARE wires going out of yours, ofna... What are they for? They seem to come from above/in front of your radiator?

Also, no wire mounting with mine. There are 2 mounting holes in that fender apron, underneath that raised portion at the top (Maybe an inch below the bigger mystery (For me) hole.. WHat is supposed to mount there? I was going to use one of the holes for this.

#7 ·
JohnnyK said:
Awesome.. Thanks guys! So nothing there.. I see there ARE wires going out of yours, ofna... What are they for? They seem to come from above/in front of your radiator?

Also, no wire mounting with mine. There are 2 mounting holes in that fender apron, underneath that raised portion at the top (Maybe an inch below the bigger mystery (For me) hole.. WHat is supposed to mount there? I was going to use one of the holes for this.
Yeah, the el-cheapo overflow tank from Autozone comes with a wire basket sort of thing to hold the tank. I've seen what you are talking about. Either way, it is effective.
;)

#9 ·
I am experimenting with mounting locations for mine too, and just thinking about how it works - I don't think it matters vertically where you put it. There is enough pressure coming out (and vacuum going in I would hope) that it will easily pull what it needs to and from the container. It may be harder to top off when mounted lower though, just because of access.

#11 ·
Hmm.. I've heard it's 'best' to have it as high as well, but, but would it work in this position?

I'd like not to cover up that newfound hole (For it's new-found purpose!). I guess my repro battery apron just didn't come with that hole.. Time to cut and solder some wires I suppose.. How does it pass through the rad support. THats a repro as well.. Just wondering if it too is missing the holes, or it's just supposed to go around that.

#15 ·
Those tubes are stainless. I just bought the one in that picture last night on ebay for $43.00 with shipping and tax.

I need to mount mine on the right side (passenger side) and with a 24" radiator it's going to be tough due to the battery tray but I know JeffTepper got his installed that way so I know it can be done.

I will need to make some little brackets to bring it out in to the engine bay a little.

#16 ·
Midlife: I know, I was just saying that I installed a repro battery tray, and was confused because it didn't have that large hole. It actually has a smaller hole like you say, but I assume the headlights have to exit that hole as well, correct? So I'm just wondering why it's not the same size. Unless the original harness has both headlights coming out the drivers side and then following some weird route to the other side?

As far as the overflow. Whats more important, the top of the container, or the bottom. Because with a stainless one, the bottom would be much farther down than this plastic one, and if they work, then maybe this will as well?

#19 ·
aha.. I gotcha.. I used a universal harness so it kind of wraps around the lh fender aprons, and the LH headlight harness branches off there (Which at the moment I have branching off after it goes through the bottom rad support hole.. Maybe I can't even make it to the headlights from there?) and the follows around the outside of the rad support, and branches off to the RH headlights.. what route does the RH lights follow? Through the rad support at the bottom, but when it gets to the RH side, does it just go up to the headlight (From the outside of the rad support, like I have now) or does it then go back inside, and out the hole in the RH battery tray?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.