Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Installing Door Hinges??

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ajzride 
#1 ·
Currently I'm rebuilding the drivers door hinges on a 68. I am removing one at a time. Started with the upper hinge. Have removed the upper and changed out the pin and bushings. When I went to reinstall the nut plate fell down to the bottom behind the kick panel. Was able to retieve the nut plate and can get it back up to the install position by fishing a wire down inside the fender and attaching it to the nut plate. Was kinda suprised the nut plate is just held in by the bolts. Thought it would be caged by a couple metal tabs. Anyway was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to hold the nut plate in place till a bolt or two is started? I'm sure I could figure something out but I figure why not ask someone who has gone through it before!!

#5 ·
On the 68 you only have access to the lower nut plate. From the mounted position there is and open channel maybe an inch or 1.5 inches wide than extends to just above the lower hinge. Like I posted earlier I have experimented with having a piece of wire between two of the three mounting holes. If you can hold the nut plate tight enough with the the wire you could possibly get one bolt started but that may take the help of a second person.

#16 ·
Too late for that DOH!! I assumed it would be held in by a tab, or maybe even tac welded in.

I think I'm going to buy some all thread, and put it into one of the bolt holes, then use that to pull on while I put a dab of JB Weld on it. After the JB dries I can put the other two bolts in, then remove the all thread stud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.