Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut out my cowls and have sand blasted all the areas underneath, and am ready to begin welding in my patches now that I have them marked to fit the areas I will be cutting out. My question is this:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2641000-2641999/2641349_22_full.jpg

I need to patch this corner. However, do I need to add bracing before I cut the firewall out? The reason I am concerned is that I cut out the toeboard already. Stupid, I know, but I didn't realize I would be patching the whole corner until well after it was done.

I want to get this patched this week if possible. I also am wondering after doing all the searching I have, if I should be concerned doing full floors without bracing. I keep seeing warnings about bracing the car to keep it true, but most are on verts, which mine is not. I don't want to screw my car up doing stuff.

Any information would be appreciated.

Jon

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not to sound impatient on this, but any ideas would help in making my decision on this side.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I patched my firewall in the same place. Not from rust though. I did not have to add any bracing in before hand. Just measure and double check your work before the final cut.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The cowl, firewall, toe board and floors are what positions the front frame and it looks like you've already removed a fair amount of what stiffens it. It wouldn't hurt to support underneath as much as possible. You might want to validate the frame's alignment with a frame chart before you brace or support it.

Looking at you cardomain site, there are some pics showing some very serious rust at the base of the A pillars that goes into the door jams. Those parts are not reproduced and seems to be fairly complex to fab up... I'm curious what your plans are for that area.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stangg said:
The cowl, firewall, toe board and floors are what positions the front frame and it looks like you've already removed a fair amount of what stiffens it. It wouldn't hurt to support underneath as much as possible. You might want to validate the frame's alignment with a frame chart before you brace or support it.

Looking at you cardomain site, there are some pics showing some very serious rust at the base of the A pillars that goes into the door jams. Those parts are not reproduced and seems to be fairly complex to fab up... I'm curious what your plans are for that area.
My wife asked the same question tonight. The only real problem is the drivers side a pillar. A long time back someone offered to see if they still had one they could cut off, and send me, but I don't recall immediately who that was. If anyone has the drivers side A-pillar, I would be happy to take it off your hands if you plan to junk the car it is on anyway. However, my neighbor who is a professional welder says that he can fab a piece up for it with the tools in his truck toolbox. We'll see. As for the firewall, I have decided that it is probably best for me to first weld in my toeboard patches, and then tackle the corner. This way, I am pretty sure that I have not compromised the structure of the car. I spent most of tonight, blasting the area under the lower cowl, to include my side cowls and firewall, and the passengers side frame rail. There is absolutely no rust in my passengers framerail at all. It is completely solid, which is the first piece I have sandblasted and not had a hundred holes to look through. I can not however, say the same for my dash panel which now looks more like swiss cheese than a dash panel. Add another part to the shopping list.

I also bought a can of weld through primer today, and my god for what it costs, it had better be worth it. I go to work early tomorrow to upgrade a server, so I am hoping to escape the office by 2pm which would give me a good 4 hours of work time before the little one gets up from her after daycare nap at 6:30. Hopefully, in that time I will be able to cut and trim the new piece for welding, which I can do after she goes to sleep since it is not loud. Grinding the welds will have to wait till another day, but hopefully I will be posting pics of my newly installed toeboard for the passengers side before midnight tomorrow. The real delay on it has been timing for being able to make some noise, since my kids room shares a wall with my garage. The cutoff tool is just to loud.

Jon

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to work my drivers side first so that I could see what exactly I was going to need to do. At least on this side, I have the toeboards and floor pans in still, so I measured my panel distances before cutting to validate that I return the panels back when I reweld it in. I was going to weld it in, but I broke the valve on my regulator, so that will have to be a tomorrow thing. I got it sized and mocked up, then measured again, and I think I am going to be ok on this one.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2641000-2641999/2641349_25_full.jpg

It is definately my first big step forward. I am extremely excited about actually getting something back on the car. Can't wait until tomorrow now.

Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts