Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost ready to install my 351w, it's attached to an AOD. I plan to jack up the rear of the car and install the combo using a MAC's engine pivot plate. I've got some dense foam packing I'll tape in the engine bay to help avoid scratches but I am really hoping the pivot plate will give me much more control to avoid any mishaps. My question about the headers is do I install them both from the bottom, keeping the engine attached to the hoist so I can jack it us some if needed or does either of the headers go in from the top? I have a Borgeson steering box installed. It was 2007 when I removed the engine and long tubes, can't quite remember how I got the headers out. Thanks

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Mike, I like to pull the engine up and out of the way, with the tail of the trans hanging sharply down, and put in headers from the top, and then lower the engine onto them. What headers do you have, and why are we doing this ? do you know for certain your headers fit an AOD ? Many don't. Do you know for certain they fit a Borgeson box ? Many don't. LSG

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've got FPA headers, they were made knowing I have an AOD and Borgeson box. I'm replacing the 351w that was in it years ago with a 351w - 1995 Lightning motor/410 stroker.

·
Registered
991 Posts
While not a exact comparison because I have a 64.5 and a 347, I installed my FPAs from the bottom with the engine and trans in place and had both of them installed in less than 20 minutes. By far, the easiest header installation I've ever had.

I would try dropping your engine and trans in place and then seeing what you have for room underneath to work with. If they won't go that way, then I'd pick the engine up and go from the top.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I have FPA headers for my small block in a '67 and they will go in from the top

1 - 7 of 7 Posts