Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I am wondering if anyone has installed a G force gearset into a t5. I currently have a t5z which works great behind my 306 but I am contemplating building a stroker in the next few years and would prefer to preemptively bulletproof the drive train before grenading a perfectly good T5z.

I would probably buy a used T5 for a core and rebuild it with the G force guts then remove and sell my T5z. I am thinking I can probably get enough out of my T5z to pay for the gear set and possibly the core.

My question is how hard would it be to do this yourself? I have read numerous articles on rebuilding a T5 to stock specs and it is described as fairly straightforward. I would think rebuilding to G force specs would be much the same.

Has anyone done it and have words of wisdom?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have not done it personally, but had it built by Bob Hanlon of Hanlon Motorsports. I think he sells a dvd on how to do it yourself, might be worth a call. I've had it about five years, and no issues so far. Only downside, shifting through the gears, there is a LOT of gear noise, sounds like the transmission from a 1930's truck, you can't hear the radio, and hardy here the engine until you get to fourth gear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I understand the noise is the price you pay for durability without cutting the tunnel to install a TKO. I hadn't thought about Hanlon and will take a look at their website.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Bob is one of THE best when it comes to a T5. He is also a Ford drag racer and knows first hand what works and what doesn't from personal experience. If i didn't do my own , I would have him do them.
Randy

·
Registered
693 Posts
Is the gear noise really that bad? I've been dealing with a loud ring and pinion (that's finally quieted somewhat) and it's pretty annoying. I want a sturdier T-5 but don't think I can tolerate a whole lot of noise.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Straight cut gears make a significant whine that gets old real quick in street driving.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I had a close ratio T5 built by Levy Racing that I think used Astro gears. There was some gear noise in the lower gears, but it wasn't objectionable. There was none in 4th and 5th. They told me that it was important to change the gear box lube at least once a year.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I thought G-Force and Astro both made a helical cut gear set for T-5s?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might be wrong but I thought one company made the gears (I believe G force) and the other used their parts to make their own upgraded trans. It could be the other way around. But currently I believe you can only get the parts through Jegs if you don't buy a whole transmission.

I am still contemplating the noise but I might try lining both sides of the tunnel with sound deadender. If it was only in the lower gears then I think I could handle it. I would really like to hear from more folks that have done it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I found this video which has transmission noise: [ame]https://youtu.be/1FxhV1ieMJg?t=458[/ame]

I don't know how I feel about it. It sounds cool if you have a race car but for the streets it might be too much.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just had my T5 rebuilt and was going through the costs.... those gears aren't cheap! I passed but will probably regret it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Last year when I looked into T5 options for my son's 347, Astro was not making any new T5's. This may have changed, but before anyone gets too excited, call them to verify.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last year when I looked into T5 options for my son's 347, Astro was not making any new T5's. This may have changed, but before anyone gets too excited, call them to verify.
That's what I found as well. I also looked at Hanlon and they only have stock T5 rebuild parts. G-force still sells transmissions but there is no pricing listed on their site for trans or parts. Jegs lists there parts for sale. It is about $1500 for a kit with their upgraded mainshaft and output shaft with gears. Ouch! You can also get an upgraded case to use or the gears individually. If you could start with a a junk core and use the case it appears you might have about $2000 in it if you do it yourself. That's a lot but if I could sell my T5Z before grenading it that could go towards it.

I guess the moral of the story is that if I don't run slicks with a stroker I MIGHT be okay. Just like I might be okay with my 8 inch if I only run street tires...I know how that worked out...:crying:

·
Registered
172 Posts
From Astro’s site, they rebuild your core. They have had too many issues with cores being returned.

Rusty

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I've had my GForce T5 (helical) for about 12 years now without issue and without any annoying noise. I run over 650hp/600tq and it's held up fine. The .59 5th gear is the only thing that I would change.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow! Thanks for the feedback. Well if it can handle what you are throwing at it I should have no problem with longevity when I upgrade.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I have a chance to buy the Astro A5 or the G force pro T5 locally. To make my choice even harder my original goal was the magnum T56 trans. I have also found an 03/04 cobra T56 for sale and all three trans are within $100 of each other. past research lead me to think that G force had more issues than Astro.

The A5 had been broken before and rebuilt with about 7 miles on it now. First gear let go and cracked the case.

The G force I do not have much more info on other than its a working trans with the shifter and I can even pay a couple bucks more for the RXT clutch set up.

The Cobra T56 has 50k miles on it and is suppose to be in good working order. But will cost an additional $1,000 to upgrade all the internal shifting parts and input shaft. Should be the strongest of the three trans.

The mangum is the strongest option and along with the cobra T56 requires a pricey bell housing. There is a magnum for sale used but his asking price is over the new price but has the bell housing with it, which I can not use as its for a mod motor.

I really hate buying a trans used and not being able to drive it. So I'm torn between funds and what I really want. I know the t56 may require tunnel mods, I think I may be able to avoid those with the MII rod and custom front end in hopes of lowering the engine some. If not, I am not opposed to tweaking the trans tunnel.

Would love to hear others input. thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts