Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After countless days figuring out my lights were all rigged it led to this faulty culprit. I jsut got the new one and I still have to repaint my steering column etc. The car is apart. I noticed that it looks like you retain the factory plastic cluip, I see each wire had a crimmped metal prong on the end.

So here is the question How do I remove the old wires from clip and reinstall the new ones without breaking anything, thats the key here. Everytime I force somehting I break it. Thanks, will be doing this by the weekend.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
There is a special prong removal tool you can get or you can use a very slim jewelers screw driver to push the prong's clip in.

The problem I had when I replaced my turn signal wiring harness was that the Ford replacement harness had different colored wires than the original. It made it hard to get it working properly. It got it working but I had some funny moments like when I put the turn signal on and the horn started honking :)

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I even consider soldering and heatshiriniking to the factory clip and call it a day, I know no matter when I tried reinstalling the pins something never worked right

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
In case it is not obvious I should mention that you push on the wire forcing the pin forward towards the end of the cup (to release the grip it has on the cup) and then push the pin's clip thingy inwards forcing it towards the wire and then pull the wire out of the cup. I hope this makes sense.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
A tip that works great from the Ford Shop Manual:
Use a ball point pen shell (without inked pen! duh!), and slide the small hole of the shell over the metal connector, then remove the wire from the back of the plastic connector. Works like a champ!

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
952 Posts
I made a "map" of the wire colors. Then I ground the tip down on a give away pocket screwdriver. Like pprince said, you have to push the wires forward, then put the wedge in, and presto pull the wire out.

I tried the Midlife way but failed. I did not however have a metal pen insert, only plastic. I bet w/ a metal insert from a pen it would work.

Layne

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast

1 - 6 of 6 Posts