Vintage Mustang Forums banner

installing Old Air Hurricane system

15K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  timthechef 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
Since my husband and I are both teachers, this summer will be mostly dedicated to working on the Mustang! First up, installing AC. We ordered the Old Air Hurricane system (air, deforst, and heat) for our originally non-AC car. We talked to our trusted mechanic, and he says he doesn't do installs, and doesn't know anyone in town who does, so it looks like we will be attempting it ourselves.

Any helpful links you can share would be appreciated, as I can't find much information on the installation other than the manual that it came with.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How mechanically inclined are the two of you? Do you own tools? Real tools, at a minimum a complete set of Craftsman quality tools.

Not to be rude, but if your car is maintained by your mechanic, you're probably not the type of people to install AC. Maybe you simply don't have the time and leave everything up to your mechanic.

Again, I don't want to sound rude. It probably isn't an easy install.

#3 ·
If you have to say "don't mean to sound rude" twice in one post, you're probably better off just keeping your thoughts to yourself.

We have the tools, we know it won't be easy, and we want to learn. I thought that's what this forum was for...

#6 ·
Harbor Freight sells a nifty little vacuum pump that you can hook to a compressor to evacuate an air conditioning system. I think it was like $20, works very well. If you have to evacuate the system after the install this is a cheaper option than taking it to an a/c shop to evacuate and charge the system.

#7 · (Edited)
I installed a Vintage Air system in my car. It has to be somewhat similar. I found the install fairly easy, but I play with cars a lot and I installed anther V/A kit on my 67 C10 back in 2006 and it still blows ice cold, so I kinda knew what to look out for the 2nd time.

A couple things to do/watch out for:

Pre fit everything loosely. It will take longer, but ensure you don't have any major mistakes.

The A/C lines MUST all have an O-ring installed on them. AND it MUST be lubricated (should have come with kit). If for any reason you install an O-ring, tighten the line, but messed up somewhere and have to undo that connection, DO NOT REUSE that O-ring. Toss it and get another. They're cheap and my V/A kit came with a couple extra of each size (parts stores have them too.)

I would have a shop evacuate and charge the system (I installed mine, then had a shop charge it, was around $110 for me.) The kit should have information on compressor and system for the shop to use (pounds of refrigerant and whether or not your compressor was pre-oiled.)

There are plenty of people here to help if you get stuck! Good luck with your install!

#8 ·
So far I have nothing but good things to say about the Old Air hurricane kit. Everything has fit perfectly, and one wire that was hooked up wrong by them, but technical support was great.

Progress so far:
Day 1: took out the old heater box and installed the new under dash unit onto the firewall
Day 2: installed the ducts and vents and heater valve
Day 3: installed the controls and electrical
Day 4: installed condenser in front of the radiator

Still to do: install condenser and AC hoses. Trying to decide if we should do it ourselves or if we should bring it to a shop. I'm scared to start the car now!

Attachments

#12 ·
I went ahead and brought it to a mechanic to finish up because we were leaving for vacation. I had to order a clutch fan and shroud because I originally had a flex fan which is not recommended for AC cars. I went with a thermal clutch fan because my research here pointed at that as the best option. Anyway the system is in, it had a small leak that we had to get retightened, but it has worked perfectly since then! It is really cold air, and everything works like it's supposed to. Old Air gets two thumbs up from me!

#14 ·
Good for you.

Unfortunately mine has a leak somewhere near the dryer. Gonna have to take it back to the shop who tested it for leaks and filled it the first time.

What's odd is it held vacuum perfectly for over an hour before they charged the system. So annoying.

#15 ·
May I ask what your going to do with the old heater box assembly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.