Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first the stats 66 coupe 6cyl auto
I am going to install a pertronix electronic ignition flamethrower coil and pertronix wires. I read that you can gap the plugs wider with this equipment. What should I gap the plugs at? Also what "bumps in the road" can I expect during the Install? I have read what I can on the job but nothing beats real world experience. Thanks Ed

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
First...

DO NOT GAP THE PLUGS ANY LARGER! :eek:

I made that mistake. If you install a Pertronix unit you should also upgrade the coil. Even then, you should not gap the plugs any larger than they stock setting.

I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition and Flamethrower coil on my I6 with no prior experience. Its very simple and straight forward. You might have to splice some wires and crimp on some wire terminals, but it should be quite painless.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When replacing the wires resist the urge to rip all the old ones off at once. The pertronix is not complicated at all.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
If you want to maintain the authentic look of the coil, you can paint the coil top yellow and the rest of the coil black, then apply the a reproduction factory sticker. I did that with the petronix coil on my 65. Looks stock.

When installing the coil, the only bumps in the road I can foresee is to have the + and - terminals on the coil installed upside down (not a big deal anyway) or to install the coil to low in the mounting bracket so as to lose the clearance necessary to plug in the coil wire from the dizzy. Oh, you don't want to overtighten the mounting clamp around the coil to the point you dimple the metal casing of the coil.

good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts