Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install power steering and we have a water pump who's snout is on the leftside. Is/will there be a problem attaching the steering pump bracket as compared to a standard RH pump snout?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes I agree with JohnPro only because it seems that everything 70 and later has a totally different approach! Why did they have to change it up! Argg! (It does make it easy to add some sick radiators tough!)

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should then ask which pump should I use? Will the original 65 pump (w/o) AC fit the 70& latter bracket?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
OK, here's the low-down. I spent months going through this saga on the 351w based stroker in my '69 with a left side water pump inlet ('70 style water pump) so pretty much ran into every possibility.

First, the PS pump changed sometime in '70. Now what I'm still unclear on, is if this was just for the 351/bigger engines or all engines. The difference is in the high pressure hose fiting ... it got bigger and is offset in the pump, instead of centered like the earlier ones. So you have to make sure that the bracket and the high pressure hose fit the pump.

Now there are 2 PS brackets. One that bolts to the pump and one that bolts from that bracket to the water pump. The one that bolts to the pump depends on whether you have A/C or not. The one that bolts to the water pump is different between a 302 and a 351w, so you have to be careful of which you get. The 302 can be put on a 351w, if you get a custom bracket for the head, and make slight modifications to the pump housing bracket. The 351w one will not work on a 302, though (the 351w ones are rarer than hen's teeth, though, so this is usually not a problem for 289/302 users).

None of these parts are made in reproduction, other than the possibility of some of the high $ billet brackets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts