Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased all of my stereo equipment this week. This is what I am running: Deck - JVC KD-SE980 MP3/CD 4x50W (Glove Box) Speakers - JVC CS-HX622 Co-Axial 6-1/2" 100W (Kick Panels) Kenwood KFC-6906 6"x9" 3-Way 170W (Rear Shelf)

I am having a shop install the deck but I am going to put the speakers in myself. So here are the questions I have.

1. I purchased the kick panels for the 6-1/2's. What all is nessesary for installing them. Cut out the hole for the speaker, and screw on the speaker some how. There are also no holes for screws so I make my own holes or is there a better way of attaching them to the car?

2. How do I install the speakers in the rear shelf. Is there more to it than cutting the holes in the fiberboard, then screwing the speakers down? Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I am running 5 1/4's in my kick panels because 6 1/2's would have required that I make a cutout in the metal behind to allow for the larger magnet. You might want to double check our measurements to be on the safe side. You are on the right track for the kick panels and rear self. For the kickpanels I just used the template that came with the speakers for the mounting size, traced it, and then cut around it and a screwed in my speakers. For the rear shelf I didnt have to make any cuts, my 6x9's fit right in the original holes and I just cutout and screwed in the speakers through the package tray.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
On my 67 coupe I hung the speakers under the package tray. I bought a new package tray board and drilled a LOT of small holes to vent the speakers. I then covered it with carpet-like acoustic material. It looks slick (to me at least), sounds good, and my rear speakers are effectively invisible.
Drilling 9 million holes in speaker shaped patterns was a pain though.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The mounting depth of my 6-1/2" are 1-13/16". I've heard that 2" can be fit, sometimes with a hammer. Is this true?
Also i was looking at the rear shelf. I think there were about 5 holes in the shelf. Am i correct in thinking the correct holes are the ones second from the ends? They seem to be the correct size.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Bad news, dude. I searched HI and LOW looking for 6 1/2" speakers to fit the "speaker kick panels". If any exist without modifications, I can't find them, so my speaker kick panels are still on the garage shelf.

You'll not get anything deeper than 1 1/2" in there. And even if you WANTED to cut the metal behind them, you can't ... unless of course you don't need your bottom door hinge /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

The speaker kick panels are a nice idea with an extremely poor execution.

What I've done for rear 6x9's in all 3 of our "running" Mustangs was mount them under the metal of the package tray shelf. That way we didn't have to do any cutting of metal. I then cut speaker holes out of the pressed board package tray and mounted speaker grills just to the tray. That way, the tray still comes out easily if/when you need it to, without doing anything. They all look nice (IMHO, at least).

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
lol, why didnt you just cut holes in the package tray and attatch some perforated steel or mesh or something, with the correct covering it would still be undetectable and i imagine it would sound better too

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i installed kicker 6 1/2" in my kick panel. there listed at 1 15/16. I used a hammer to make it fit. and it didn't take much hammering.

I orginally had my cd changer mounted in the glove box. With the lack of any other storage inside the car i relocated it to the trunk and made the glove box usable.

Your head unit is pretty powerfull. Remember the mustang has awimpy electrical system. At full power you need a 20 amp fuse to handle the power so don't expect to be able to just piggy back a fuse.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Have you seen these prefabbed speaker boxes for the rear shelf in coupes? I'm not certain what the cost is, but I thought they were pretty cool!

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/1C/95/11916572-ff0f-01840118-.jpg

·
Registered
709 Posts
Because the front speakers go in at an angle, what depth can fit depends also on the diameter of the magnet. I was able to install 6-1/2"'s in my '66 since I used a special speaker made by Illusion audio (Planet audio has 'em too) that has the magnet in front of the speaker. In the box with the speakers you will a lot of times get screws and special nuts (bent pieces of steel), Just put the screws through the kick panel and back them up with the nuts and everything will hold fine.
As for the rear deck, I don't have any speakers in it. For rear speakers I have a set of aftermarket armrests that hold 4x6's mounted to the quarters. Although, since I have a sub in the trunk I perforated the package tray (with a drill), and covered it in black velvet since I have a black interior. I also installed two 4" mids (center channel) in the dash mounted on a piece of masonite. That's how I built mine. I think the car sounds pretty good. Hope I was some help.
-Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Hey, do you have model #'s or something for the front kickpanel speakers that you are using. I agree that 1 1/2 inch clearance is about the best you can do without mods. I am using the aftermarket kickpanels with 6.5 in. 160w pioneers in my 66 convertible but boy do they sound crappy. I have not been able to find any other speakers that are shallow enough to fit to replace them however. Perhaps it's just because of the cowtown (Denver) where I live. Also, how much did the front 6.5's set you back to purchase? I have been looking for so long I will pay almost any price at this point...........

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
It worked great, sounds great, and looks great. It was a dirt-simple job, I just got tired drilling hole after hole after hole. Correctly spaced holes are acoustically transparent enough for my ears. I've got a subwoofer in the trunk and figured the simpler I could make things, the fewer rattles I would have later on. I forgot to mention I used Dynamat all over and the speakers are boxed in from underneath and driven by a 250 watt amp.

G

·
0 Posts
I've got a set of Sony XPlod 6 1/2" speakers in my kick panels, and they fit just fine. Not sure about the specific depth, but there's no interference at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts