Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Installing Vert Top in Colorado in winter or waiting until summer?

681 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  gt350sr 
#1 ·
Happy New Years,
When I run out of ideas or options go to the forums. Need some help deciding what to do next. I just finished rebuilding my front end and can't decide what to do next. My 69 has no top so I don't want to look like an idiot driving a convertible in winter in CO to get the alignment done so I have two options on what to work on next. One being the top. The other is replacing the whole wire harness. I have listed below all the electrical issues I have and what ones work and don't work. Since it's January and warm weather is still months away I know I have time to do both before then. One question I thought up and don't know if it's a factor is the temperature in my garage. Its not heated. Should I install my new top now or wait until the weather warms up? I'm installing a vinyl top and one lesson I learned while doing my seats was the the warmer the vinyl the easier it was to work with. Will installing the top in cold weather affect the tightness of the top? Will the top get lose in warmer temperate? If you install the top in warm weather does it gets tighter in cold weather? Will it get too tight that it rips? Is it better to have it lose in the summer knowing that most of the time is will be down anyways? Even if I had a top the heater does not work. What to do what to do?

The electrical components that work in that car as follows.

Gas Gauge
Oil Pressure
Head lights
Brake Lights
Rear turn lights
Dash lights
turn lights
hazards

Electrical components that do not work

AMP Gauge
Temp Gauge
Radio
Front turn lights
Heater blower
Internal lights
Horn

See less See more
#2 ·
Having done 3 vert tops over the years I advise against attempting to fit the fabric/vinyl below 80F. You list all kinds of electrical. There's the dash switch and top pump motor.

#4 ·
Check my sig. My original 64 1/2 I factory ordered had manual top which is what I wanted even if it had cost more! Loved it...worked great!

#5 ·
For anyone who's interested, If you live in Central Florida, I'm doing '64-'68 Power Top Conversions now if you have a manual top...and you want to convert your manual top to power. I only use the best parts available. E-mail me at NEFaurora@aol.com or PM me if interested.

:eek:)

Tony K.

#7 ·
Having done complete harness and top, I think you'd be much better doing the electrical and wait for warmer weather to tackle the rag top. You may want to look into replacing the weatherstrip if needed. You may want to see also if you can rent/buy/borrow a gas or electric heater for your garage.

Low temp will for sure affect how the vinyl can be handled and fitted, AND your other concern , though not listed in your questions, is the contact glue. In low low temp, it will be iffy at best. Be sure to use a contact adhesive made for convertible tops which is also heat resistant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.