Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the 65 Mustang came out, the Idiot Lights was the format. When the 66 came out, was the Idiot Light format still used for the 6cyl motors or the updated 5 gauges cluster become the norm despite the pony was a deluxe or non deluxe pony?

I am asking as a shop has a 66 with the Idiot Light format yet they claim it is a GT. I already called them out the VIN stamped on the fender is a T code. I don't recall any GT versions with a T code or a specialty pony for that matter.

I wait for the experts to chime in

Thank You

Lewis

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
T code is six cylinder.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Sounds like a really "douched" '66 car... that you were looking at....

Any "Real" GT '65 or '66 cars had either the "A" code or "K" code motors only..... No "C" code cars.....were ever GT's.....ever!!

The "falcon style" cluster with idiot lights was ONLY used in 1964.5 and 1965 cars ONLY. ALL '64.5 and Most '65 cars got the Falcon Cluster. Only '65 cars with the Pony Interior (PI0) option or Bonafide '65 GT cars got the "5-Dial Clusters"....

ALL 1966 cars.....ALL got the "5-Dial" cluster....so ALL '66's got them...

Hope this answers your questions..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
"The car must have those GT idiot lights in the grill!"

Huh?!???

Don't follow.... Please explain...

Tony K.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
IIRC...GT option was only available on cars with the A or K code engines. Bottom line, if the vin indicates it was a T code, 6 cylinder, engine, it’s not a GT

·
Registered
33,905 Posts
When the 65 Mustang came out, the Idiot Lights was the format. When the 66 came out, was the Idiot Light format still used for the 6cyl motors or the updated 5 gauges cluster become the norm despite the pony was a deluxe or non deluxe pony?
I am asking as a shop has a 66 with the Idiot Light format yet they claim it is a GT. I already called them out the VIN stamped on the fender is a T code. I don't recall any GT versions with a T code or a specialty pony for that matter.
I wait for the experts to chime in
Ah, well, the 5-gauge cluster was included on all 1965 models with deluxe ("pony") interior or GT. This was a mid-year introduction. Prior to that, all Mustangs, even K codes, had the Falcon style gauges.

Beginning with the 1966 model, all Mustangs, regardless of engine or nameplate, had the 5-gauge cluster.

If they have a "T code 1966 GT with Falcon gauges" then the car is a parts collection. Avoid it.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Never though of the Fog lights as Idiot lights... but whatever..

By the way The fog lights were a "REAL" over the counter option that could have been added back in the day in '65-'66 to any '65-'66 Mustang by any Ford Dealer... You could have ordered them from any Ford "Parts Counter" Dealer. If I remember correctly, This separate "Parts Counter" option was expensive for the day...but was indeed available. This was literally decades before the option was available in the Aftermarket from Mustang Parts Vendors....just like it is today..

Tony K.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
22 GT

You are a True Genuis. I did read that some where the information you posted about the cluster.

So hands down the 66 Mustangs came with the 5 gauge cluster is what I am reading for 22GT posting. Well I will break down the bad news to the shop. Whether they take action or not is up to them. Alas the time they do sell to a Mustang Expert, there going to be cut short when they are called out to be a "Fake"

Thanks again to everyone who helped me clear the air.

Lewis
US Army Retired Disabled

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I'm no expert, but I will say if that shop has the 66 six-cylinder car in good shape for cheap, buy it and make it what you want-- an economical cruiser or a show stopping bruiser or a mix of all things Mustang. They're still fun !

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
"The car must have those GT idiot lights in the grill!"

Huh?!???

Don't follow.... Please explain...

Tony K.

People that think having fog lights in the front grille makes it a GT=Idiots.
More precisely most of them are an ignoramus since etymologically being an idiot is more of a sociopath's outlook on life.:nerd:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts