Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lights went out on my instrument cluster a few weeks ago and today I got out there to try to track the problem down and I did . . . sorta.

The 4 light blue w/red wires tie into one light blue w/red wire and into a three prong (all female)plug. A darker blue w/red wire (male connector) plugs into the center plug (other two are empty).

It appears that the other end of the darker blue w/red wire has become disconnected, but I'll be danged if I can figure out what it was connected to. I've got about 6" of this wire from the plug with a bare end. This is to the right of center of the cluster when you are sitting in the drivers seat.

Instead of trying to reroute it to a hot headlight wire, I was hoping someone can tell me what this silly thing originally connected to. This in on my 66.

Thanks in Advance,

·
Registered
838 Posts
It should be conected to the fuse pnl at the Inst fuse in the back. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuse box is getting juice and the bl w/r wire goes to and comes from it, I just changed (1/2 hour ago) the headlight switch and it too has a bl w/r going to and coming from. Most of the wires in the harness are wrapped together so I can't trace it but to see that it goes in one end and comes out the other.

The renegade wire I found was obviously connected to something (from the stripped end which is slightly frayed), but I can't figure out where it connected to, but this should be a hot wire (when I touched to to another hot wire my gauge lights came on).

Also this wire has a darker blue than the others (but is conected to the lighter blue wire at the plug).

:: :: ::

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AzP,

The wiring diagram (which I also have in hard copy) shows the wire as one continuos wire, #19 that starts at the bulbs, goes through the fuse box and ends at the headlight switch.

No plugs :(

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My 67 power went from the fuse box, to the radio plug, to the headlamp switch connector, to the dash cluster.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, the radio plug?

Per chance so you remember what color that wire was?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Yes, I see no plugs. Wire 19 also runs to the radio light, tach and clock lights if installed. Could it be a dead end for a tach/clock, in which the plug has been removed? Also, is this a new harness? If so, I just had a problem with my after market harness. The manufacturer had forced two wires into a pin that was only large enough for one. One pulled out and it took me a week to trace it down. Even though no plug is listed on the schematic, look at all plugs, switches and fuse box to see if there is a loose wire that matches the color code you are tracing. Looks like there should be two of your colors coming out of the fuse box.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hmmm, the radio plug?

Per chance so you remember what color that wire was?
Baby Blue w/Red, same color as the wire going to the headlamp switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts