Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my instrument cluster lights go out on the 66 Coupe the other night. I check the fuse and yup, the fuse it blown.

I replace the (impossible to find sized) fuse, but still no lights. -the bright light indicator will come on, but that it is.
The gauges are working so it's not the voltage regulator, as I replaced that two weeks ago.

Before I pull the instrument cluster, any pointers on what my problem might be?

T.I.A.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would check the headlight switch, Older switches seem to always be a problem. YOu didn't mention weather or not you have power to the instrument light fuse.I have seen the resistor wire come loose from the headlight switch and it maybe shorting out the circuit. Check for power to the fuse, If the fuse is still good and you have no power then replace the switch.
Phil

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil, I will check out power to the fuse and then wiring.

I did replace the headlight switch about 3 months ago.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine did hte same thing this summer. I sat down with a wiring diagram and was checking waht was all on the same circuit, when my 4 yr old daughter came over and asked what I was doing. So I showed her where the light bulbs were on the diagram and where the fuse block was and told here the lines connecting them were the wires and some where in between something wasn't working right. She took the diagram and started following the lines wiht her finger and came to the headlight switch and said it must be this thing. Yeah right I thought I had just replaced it about 6 months earlier. So stupid me went and started checking everything and tore the insrument cluster out, everything was fine. My daughter came over and said "did you check that thing dad?" No I hadn't. So I did. Some how when I was doing some other work I must have bumped the ceramic disc for the rheostat and it wasn't making contact. I pushed it back in place and they've worked fine since.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Smart A$# kids gotta love um ;)
My 7 yr old stuffed all my shoes with packing peanuts yesterday. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah the ubiquitous packing peanuts.

They're harder to get rid of then an adult child who has moved back home.

I shipped ALL of my packing peanuts with a recent EBay sale. All of them. :biggrin:[evil laugh]

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts

I shipped ALL of my packing peanuts with a recent EBay sale. All of them. :biggrin:[evil laugh]
I just had a brilliant flash for my next year's White Elephant Gift! :highfive:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I had the same issue and replaced the headlamp switch and fuse, no fix. When I was checking the fuse with a meter, I moved the fuse and they work. Try moving the fuse up and down, you never know.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Very good point, many of our Mustangs have had moisture in them at one time or another and dirty fuse contacts are a real issue.

·
Registered
768 Posts

I shipped ALL of my packing peanuts with a recent EBay sale. All of them. [evil laugh
I think I bought that part, can I return The peanuts??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts