Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the highway on my way to work thismorning and happened to look down and see both the oil pressure and temp gauges slowly climbing at the same time all the way to max (right). They stayed there for about 10 seconds and then slowly began to return back to normal. It then happened again a few times on my way home. Now I could understand a bad sending unit if only one gauge did that, but what would make both do the same thing at the same time??

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The instrument voltage regulator is showing it's age....the contacts weld together temporarily.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Bad voltage regulator or bad ground to the regulator. Its behind the dash and a royal pain to get to. I am having the same problem with the pictured convertible. Think I'll go to Radio Shack and get the LM7805 solid state regulator and replace the old bi-metallic one for good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm if it's gonna cause me that much grief to get to and fix I think I'll just leave it (along with everything else) to the restoration phase in a year or two! ::

I didn't think to notice if the fuel gauge was doing it too. Would that also be affected? Or better yet, is there anything I really need to be worried about if this regulator is bad?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mine did the same thing a few days ago, got the new regulator and it hasn't done it since.
Al

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks again :D I think I'll check out what they have at Radio Shack as a replacement like Frank said before I start frying things back there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts