Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking for insight from those of you who are under 25 and drive V-8 Vintage Stangs. What insurance company are you with and how much do you pay per year? Are you still a part of your parents policy? I am, and currently pay $2200 a year to insure my 1992 AWD Turbo Eagle Talon. The insurance company (Hartford) seems to be balking a bit about the Mustang. In addition, I recently had an accident (rear-ended someone, pretty serious damage). Is it possible they will not insure me on a stang because of the accident? BTW, I've been driving for 3 years (19).

What about those classic car insurance places? Will they insure me?

I am looking to get a 65-66 fastback or 69-70 Mach. We are currently restoring a 67 fastback, but it will be my brothers when it is done (pending insurance...)

Thanks for any advice...
Brandon

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how you feel. To be honest, most insurance companies won't insure a vintage Stang, and if they do, it will cost some bucks. I'm 34 and I just insured my 64.5 with Nationwide and it's 'gonna cost me 1,000 per year. and I have no accidents or tickets.
The classic car insurers usually require the driver to be at least 21, some even 25. More than likely, due to your unfortunate accident a classic car insurer won't accept you. Keep looking and you'll probably find something. Did you try any other insurance companies other than your parents? Or try to get a policy through thier insurer in your name? IMHO, it's almost age discrimination. Good luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Here in Arizona the cost of full coverage Auto Insurance is very high. Its considered a high risk state. Trust me, its always high risk driving out here. We did do some serious shopping and called around a dozen insurance places. Most of them do not insure cars over 25 years old. We finally found a broker who did some research and got all three cars covered for us for $800.00 a year. Liability only though, full coverage would be over double. Other places quoted over $1500.00 for the same liablilty coverage. So it pays to shop around and use the brokers to do the reasearch for you, shop the smaller compaines for better pricing, places like Gieko were rediculously high. Dont bother with them. Good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am 24, I have a 97 Civic, and a 66 Mustang. I went through State Farm for $175/ month for the Civic and $15/month for the Mustang. The Mustang policy has a $250 deductible, and a stated value of $5,000. The Civic has a $1,000 deductible and full coverage. I called a bunch of places that wouldn't even talk to me, Progressive, American General - Geico was like $5,0000/year.

Keep searching...but that wreck isn't going to help you.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Expect to pay the same for the Mustang as the Talon. No one argue with me, I know from experience. Both my 90 and my 91 Talon were in a 10 dollar ballpark of my Mach 1, all the same coverages and a 500 deductible. I would pay ~100 a month for my Talon (s), and approximately the same for the Mach 1.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our insurance for the Mustang is less than on any other vehicle we own, but the accident will be your stumbling block, not the vehicle, I think.
We use All State, and the Mustang is about $500 every 6 months, with the 20-year-old as the primary driver. Until this month, he had no tickets for moving violations...he left a parking lot without turning his headlights on. We'll see how that affects our next bill. We carry high deductible on all our vehicles, and that helps keep the cost down, but it means we are stuck to repair any little dings we put in it. That's how I got into the auto-repair hobby in the first place!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am still under the family policy with Farmers insurance. My 66 costs me about $800 a year for full coverage with a $10,000 value and $500 deductible. I haven't had any tickets or accidents...Knock on wood.

Dave

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I pay $200 a year with Hagerty Classic Car Insurance. This was a life saver as I used to pay over $200 a month before I found Hagerty.

However your classic car, ie Mustang can't be your daily driver.
It must also be stored in a locked garage when not in use.
Not sure about the accident, you'd have to give them a call.
They are a GREAT company IF you can meet those requirements.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I recently got NBI Insurance, a competitor to Geico, and I'm paying $47 a month, with things like uninsured motorist's insurance. Its not my parent's policy, either.

I've had no accidents, no moving violation tickets, not even a parking ticket in 4 1/2 years of driving. One accident, just one at-fault accident, will really mess you up for years.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a 66 V8 and I'm 19. I'm still under my parents policy with AllState and I pay $100 per month. Not bad at all. I have 1 speeding ticket and no accidents. The thing with some classic car insurance places is that most of the time you have a limited number of miles you can drive the car per month or per year.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm 16 and I pay $620 for half a year on my coupe. The best part is if I have a B or better average at school its only $520 for half a year, plus if I take a defensive driver course they legaly have to give me 10% off insurance. However since you've been in an accident you'll never get remotly resonable insurance. They hate teenagers!!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I pay about $70 a month for liability and comprehensive. I think I have a value on it of like 10,000 and a deductable of $0. I go through State Farm. I'm almost 20 with no wrecks or moving violations. Justin

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Actually, the insurance company doesn't hate teenagers. They hate high-risk drivers who typically take more out in claims than they pay in premiums. As a group, teenagers premiums are set at a level that allows the insurance company to cover the age group while still making a profit from them. So, the next time you see one of your friends pull a driving stunt, think about your insurance premium. The two are definitely related.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Full coverage would cost us WAY more than you pay. I suspect insurance is higher here because drivers here are completely nuts. *G*

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm 16 and I pay $620 for half a year on my coupe. The best part is if I have a B or better average at school its only $520 for half a year, plus if I take a defensive driver course they legaly have to give me 10% off insurance. However since you've been in an accident you'll never get remotly resonable insurance. They hate teenagers!!!

<hr></blockquote>

WHAT!!!!!!!!! i pay that same amount $520/6 months for my little box 4 cylinder 5 speed 12 year old POS rice burner, for lyability only. ARGH!!!!!!!! what a jip. i dont have any tickets/accadents, and i have the good student discount. i think the insurance man is getting a call tomarrow. btw- where do you live johnny?

- Jason

·
Registered
501 Posts
My Daughter's insurance with Allstate after 2 wrecks is now $780 for 6 months, $500 deductable. Before the wrecks it was only $400.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm 22, live in Ohio, have full coverage and a stated value of $12,500 on the 'stang, and I pay $320-something every 6 months. I only have one speeding ticket(no it wasn't in the mustang) and no at fault accidents though. I'm with Nationwide.
-Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts