Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I force my ins. carrier to spring for N.O.S. parts, or do they have the option of just using repro parts, without my input?
HELP they are estimating it as we speak.... I will need to call them if I can demand real ford stuff.
Thanks,
Tom'

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,753 Posts
I wish I could help you, but this is just off the top of my head, having never gone through it myself.

Personally, I would explain to them the fact that my car, proir to the accident, was made of Original Ford parts and that all damaged parts need to be replaced with the same or NOS. This would assure a proper 'fit' and the car would be brought to it's pre-accident value. Anything else, would not make it 'whole' agian.

I hope you get some input from someone who has gone through exactly what you are in the middle of. Please post the outcome, I'm sure most people here are very interested.

Best of luck.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but it's probably way too late now. Forget NOS, forget repro parts outside of sheet metal. Unless your policy says otherwise, they'll estimate with common replacement parts like you'd get at NAPA.

Steve

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Unless you can motivate the body shop guy, your only other option if its not in the policy is to make a deal with the body shop and pay the difference out of your pocket.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AAAAGGGGHHHH!! If that is what I have to do, then I will. However, they will not be restoring the car to it's pre-accident value, which is the point of collision repair anyway, right?
I think they should pay, but I need to know of a way to make them.
Appreciate the input so far.
T

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Who's your insurance carrier and do you have special collectible vehicle insurance coverage?

IMO, the body shop has the most clout in these instances, but you'll have to trust, if they quote NOS parts, that they do in fact install them....

Best to deal with a reputable restorer which does collision work, if this is a high-dollar stock or concours car. They can likely advise you on how to handle the insurance company and what your options are within the limits of your policy.

Lastly, read your policy carefully....this is what the insurance company can fight for if you make a stink (as in litigation)....If your insurance company is not co-operating in resolving this matter in a reasonable manner, contact your state's insurance commissioner and file a complaint against them. IME, it does help get things done..

Good luck and sorry to hear about your damaged Pony!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In NY you have the right to have the car repaired with factory parts. I dont think the demand for NOS would fly up here.
If the car had Specialty insurance you have a better chance of getting it repaired properly. If you only have regular insurance in NY it would be a fight just to get the car repaired and not totaled

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Get it estimated for NOS, get it fixed with standard repros and put a 8k paint job on it and a blower on the motor /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Just my opinion

·
Registered
680 Posts
Living in South Carolina, I think we have the strangest insurance laws, but maybe you have the same. I have Nationmide Ins. on my and wife's daily drivers. We got a notice from ins. company about 6 months ago. They told us that if we wanted NOS parts on our cars, in case of an accident, the premiums would have to go up.....They would go up about $40.00 per 6 month period.....
SMBO's car is a Neon....(NOS on a Neon???) and my old Ranger has only Liability on it.....Of course we didn't pay more....
You need to read your policy....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have your body swhop estimate both ways. Explain to the body shop that you will not acceptbody panels that don't align.

You willl find that its cheaper to use NOS parts than repro because the labor to fit them is too high.

The guy I use for my Honda refuses to use non-factory parts for just this reason. Insurance pays everything. Your milage may vary......

·
7,050 Posts
I'd recommend you read your policy. I would guess that it probably covers this issue. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and guess that since the insurance company wrote the policy, it'll say they can use whatever parts they in their sole discretion deem fit to use. I hope I'm wrong!

One thing on this, when you say NOS, I picture in my head a part that has been in a box since the 60's. Some people say NOS and mean "Ford part". They really don't mean the same thing because Ford replacement parts may be completely different then the part that was originally used.

I guess if was an insurance company, I wouldn't spring for NOS unless somebody was paying me an outrageous rider that was covering my risk for that. And even that wouldn't cover the risk, because a lot of these parts aren't even available NOS. Heck, some aren't available NOS, replacement, or reproduction, and that's with mustangs. Imagine if you needed some darn trim piece for a 1965 Falcon Station Wagon! I mean, let's say there are only one or two in existence. Is the insurance company on the hook to pay someone what they would charge for that? Let's say there aren't any in existance. Is the insurance company responsible to go somewhere and have someone tool up and make you one?

Read your policy. My guess is you'll find they've covered their tail 6 ways from Sunday. Then work with your body shop and let them know what your expectations are UP FRONT. Then make sure they meet your expectations.

GOOD LUCK!

Phil

·
Registered
262 Posts
magic words LKQ "like kind and quality"this means they should repair with the same type as what was damaged. for instance you have a orig. front fender that has had rust repair and a few dings fixed,don't expect for them to put a 800 nos fender on,they could buy a used fender clean it up and thats all they need to do.on the other hand lets say you origanially bought that 800. nos fender and have the reciept,show it to them and tell them you expect lkq for replacement.don't kid yourself that the cars is going to be as good or better as before,they never get better the more times there wrecked.i'd probably do a little searching for the parts myself and then you know what you got.don't be surprised when the bodyshop marks those prices up 25%,thats all part of their profit on the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts