Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 mustang with a 6 cylinder in it. It has been parked for years so I am starting the restoration process. Took the carb off and rebuilt and when I put it back on I noticed the 2 what appear to be heater hoses that are attached to the intake the carb seats on. It appears one hose comes into the intake from the water pump and then goes out the back side to the heater core I believe. Of course the hoses are rotten and falling apart. It is easy to replace the hose from the water pump to the intake but the hose that goes out the back that I believe goes to the heater core goes through the firewall. I cannot see any type of connection so I take it to install new hose I am going to have to pull the heater core.

Can someone give me some insight and explanation as to how this set up works. Is this done to keep the carb cooler? Not looking forward to pulling the heater core as I have never done that before.

Can I just capped all off these or do I have to run the new hoses.

I have attached pics.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
The coolant passes through the carb spacer to heat the carb.
You must remove the heater box from inside the car to gain access to the clamps that attach the hoses to the heater core. Some people add extensions to the metal tubes on the core to extend through the firewall and put the hose clamps inside the engine bay.
You can cap off the inlet and outlet on the engine and do away the hoses. I can't guarantee how the carb will act but I can guarantee your heater won't work.

·
Registered
35,887 Posts
It serves two purposes. First, it DOES absorb excess heat from the intake manifold coming up from the exhaust manifold right below it. Second, it warms the carburetor base in cold weather to prevent carburetor icing and promote fuel atomization.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not real concerned about icing or cold weather as in live in deep south texas. If I cap everything off, will the heat being eliminated as the coolant flows through the intake create a problem?

·
Registered
35,887 Posts
Not real concerned about icing or cold weather as in live in deep south texas. If I cap everything off, will the heat being eliminated as the coolant flows through the intake create a problem?
Carburetor icing is most apt to occur when the humidity is high and between 40-60*F ambient (outside) temperature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts