Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Intake/Cyl Head fitment problem

780 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rayce 
#1 ·
My brother is doing some upgrades to his 67 Mustang 351W; Flowtek aluminum heads and a Victor Jr intake. Problem: the intake won't sit down flat. It will hit one "rail" or the other on the head. We've never heard of this, but I'm asking if this is more common that we have experienced? His old Holley Dominator intake sit down fine. Our planned fix is to mill about .030" off each side of the intake. That's NOT the gasket surface. Well, I guess it is the top of the gasket surface. But it won't affect the gasket or sealing. Has anyone run into this? Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Rayce, I'll presume you don't want to take the heads back off ? Some aftermarket heads have enough meat in the valve / rocker cover rail that the intakes can't quite squeeze through. If you exceptionally carefully dressed the top of the gasket surfaces on the intake, maybe you can slip it through. Once you get past the lip, it should drop into place. Or you can take the heads off and radius that lip under where the valve cover bolts on. LSG

#3 ·
I can't remember the combo, but I ran into that once. The reason I recall it is because it wasn't too long after I got in the habit of using studs and dropping intakes straight down. On that one I had to take the studs back out so I could slip one edge under and then the other side, easy. At that point you could support the intake while someone put the guide studs back in but I'm sure I didn't bother and just plopped it on down (It was a LONG time ago.)

Reactions: BlakeTX
#4 ·
We decided to take it a little at a time. One side of the intake was a little rougher finish than the other. So we took .020" off of it and went right down, barely. We tried with and without guide studs previously. I have a similar situation ahead of me but with Canfield heads. We'll see what happens when I get that far. Thanks everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.