Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Intake for 351W

998 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  camachinist 
G
#1 ·
I'm building a 351W. What do you think the best intake for my application is???forged SRP pistons 10.5:1, Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads w/ 2.02/1.60 valves, 272 cam w/ .600 lift, everythings roller, ARP bolts all around, 700 Holley double pumper, C-4 w/ 3500 stall. I know I want a single plane. This is a weekend warrior that's going to see track time in the 1/4 mile, and occacional cruise duty. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

#2 ·
I'd say with your combo, an Edelbrock Victor Jr. will suit your needs just fine. That's what I'm running on my 351W and it compliments the motor perfectly.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

#4 ·
The power band is -- 3500 - 7500 rpm. They do have one that is a little higher than the Victor jr. The Super Victor is 4500 - 8000. I've never seen one in action, so I can't say how they work, and I bet they have a hefty price tag....

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

#5 ·
My Stealth does quite well. Makes power all the way up the band.

Don
1965 Convertible, 351W, Tremec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

#6 ·
You left out two very important things in your description; your final drive ratio and how you're going to get this power to the ground...

FWIW, my race car runs mid-low 11's with a much milder W, 5.14's and a 31" tire....It gets shifted at 5500 and goes through the lights at 6500 running a little over 118 mph...

Keep all those factors in mind when putting together your combo...how fast and quick you want to go and what you need, both in drivetrain and chassis, to get you there.....

The single plane manifolds will definitely work well in the upper rpm areas...from 4K to 7K generally. But, will this work well the gear ratio of the car and the attendant combination of weight, power and desired trap speed...?

Those are questions which only you know the answers to......if you can provide some more details about the combination and where you want it to go, I might be able to share some of my experiences in these areas....

Good luck and go W!...*G*

Oops...almost forgot....I run that boring dual plane Performer RPM and a 3310 Holley.....

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.