Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,871 Posts
That's a 65 model year for a 289 in a mid-size passenger car (Torino size).
Incorrect.
It was designed for the 1965 model year- C5. The Fairlane division was responsible for the design- O. It is an engine part- E. It is an intake manifold- 9425. It was the first version- A. It was cast at the Cleveland Foundry- intertwined CF.
The fact that the Fairlane division was responsible for the design does NOT mean that it was only used on Fairlanes- it was used on any vehicle that had a 289 4V engine. This myth needs to die.

The first line on the metal tag designates the engine it was installed on as a 289 built in 1965 to Change Level 6 specifications.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Incorrect.
It was designed for the 1965 model year- C5. The Fairlane division was responsible for the design- O. It is an engine part- E. It is an intake manifold- 9425. It was the first version- A. It was cast at the Cleveland Foundry- intertwined CF.
The fact that the Fairlane division was responsible for the design does NOT mean that it was only used on Fairlanes- it was used on any vehicle that had a 289 4V engine. This myth needs to die.

The first line on the metal tag designates the engine it was installed on as a 289 built in 1965 to Change Level 6 specifications.
Interesting 🧐 I know the K codes came with the same intake as any 289 4V, but is there a chance this one came off a K code ?

·
Premium Member
14,871 Posts
I'm sure the engine tag would have specific information for a K code but I don't know what it would be. Somebody will have the book that breaks it down.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yes, this same Intake Manifold was used on both the A Code and K Code Engines built after 08/20/64, and all 1965's without emission system. For those with emission systems in 1965, the casting would have a "-C" instead of the "-A".

Bob

·
Registered
'66GT350H - '67 Ranchero 545ci 460 - '68.5 Mustang 428CJ '74 and 78 F350 "Oleynik" enclosed haulers
2,033 Posts
The engine code 551 J on your manifold is "not" a K engine code . 554 J would be the "K" engine tag code. YES the SAME casting was used on both engines.
Randy

·
Registered
405 Posts
551-J would be a 1965 2V engine, since it’s a 4V intake manifold I don’t think the tag is original to this intake.
The date code of 5B on the tag indicates February of 1965, I’m curious as to what the casting date code is on this intake manifold.

·
Registered
996 Posts
551-J would be a 1965 2V engine, since it’s a 4V intake manifold I don’t think the tag is original to this intake.
The date code of 5B on the tag indicates February of 1965, I’m curious as to what the casting date code is on this intake manifold.
Yep, The Bob Mannel Book says 551-J is 289 2V for Mustang with automatic transmission. That engine tag and that manifold don't belong together from all appearances.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Trivia question regarding my 65 GT. I have a C6OE-9425-B intake manifold dated 5E6. Always thought it was the original, but I see it listed as a 66 model year manifold? Car was picked up at the dealership May 29, 1965. Thought the 66 parts were not on the assembly line until that years models was being built? Insights? Brian
Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Rim Gas

·
Registered
405 Posts
Bob Mannels book points out that the C6OE-9425-B casting number was used late in the 1965 production run. He showed a June 11th of 1965 date coded casting with a C6OE-9425-B casting number as evidence. I think your manifold is original according to this info

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Your intake appears to have been cast 23 days before the car was picked up. JIT
I have no clue why they assign new year codes to some parts and others might just get a suffix change for variations. Would they be casting a C4 and a C6 at the same time at different factories?
Trivia question regarding my 65 GT. I have a C6OE-9425-B intake manifold dated 5E6. Always thought it was the original, but I see it listed as a 66 model year manifold? Car was picked up at the dealership May 29, 1965. Thought the 66 parts were not on the assembly line until that years models was being built? Insights? Brian View attachment 840839

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank you for sharing the Mannel book info. The casting date, 1965 May 6, always made me wonder about the C6OE-B engineering number. The carb tag has a similar date. Would you know if the level on the carb tag ' C '
Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

also be the same level for the intake tag? Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brian, Mannels book just denotes that there are change levels stamped onto each tag, but does not elaborate any further as to what the change levels mean or what the design change was.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts