Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I have a freshly rebuilt motor that I have been trying to work the bugs out of. I put about 45 miles on it, and had the intake manifold gasket fail (intake not torqued tight enough?) and had my entire cooling system drain into the motor.

I pulled the intake, and filled the water jacket to check for any other leaks. There were none, it held everything I put in there.

I have pull the plugs (3 of 8 where fouled with coolant.) let the cylinders dry out.

I have drained the oil/coolant. I had about a 50/50 mix in there. The coolant drained out first (being in the bottom of the oil pan. I have pulled the oil filter.

What do I do next? A friend told me to pour another bottle of oil, and let it drain through.

The bigger question - How much damage do you think I did to the motor? When it died, it was at idle, and it made a big "clunk" and let out a white puff out of the exhaust.

My car has the original 289, bored .0020 over, with an aluminum intake off of an 83 Mustang GT. I used the torque specs for the original cast iron intake (not thinking there), and did not go through and re-torque after running it.

Please help..... ::

·
Registered
90 Posts
Probably didn't hurt anything. After you get all the coolant out I would run the engine with new oil and a filter at idle to warm it up. Then let it sit several hours, then change oil and filter again. Should be ok. Now if you had coolant in the cylinders then you probably have a head gasket out also.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would change the oil & filter start the car & check the oil pressure. I would not depend on the oil gauge in the car, hook up an external guage. If you have normal oil pressure, I would let the car get hot (Operating temp) & change the oil & filter one more time. What was going on with the motor before it quit? Normal temp?, normal Oil pressure? Was it smoking?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it quit, it had only been running about 5 minutes, it had probably just gotten up to operation temp. Oil pressure was normal, and the only smoke came at the end.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would be surprised if you did any real damage. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't forget to turn the engine over, using the starter, with the plugs out. You have to blow most of the water out of the cylinders, or you will hydraulic it again.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I would be a little concerned about the "clunk" and finding coolant on the plugs. Since the engine was idling when it died you might be ok, too much coolant in the cylinder + rpms = bent rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts